Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DVD-RW drive will not read DVDs, but reads CDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sperto

Technical User
Oct 15, 2006
SE
I would appreciate any help solving my problem with my Packard Bell (Imedia 5097). When I tries burning a DVD, the drive will not recognise the DVD. When I put a DVD in the computer it doesn't show a disc in the drive. It works fine with CDs.

The problem started one week ago. Before this everything worked just fine. I haven´t installed anything new the last weeks.

My burner: Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-105
I use Windows XP.

I use Sonic RecordNow which came with the computer.
Now I uninstalled all other burning programs.
I've also uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and still have the same problem.
I verified that it's using DMA under the Advanced Settings tab
I tried running the Autofix tool, but it showed no problem.

Using Devfilter shows the following.

Upper Class Filter: GEARAspiWDM
Upper Device Filter: redbook
Device Object: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-105
Lower Class Filter: ASAPIW2K
Lower Class Filter: PxHelp20
Lower Device Filter: imapi

Driver Name: gearaspiwdm.sys
File Location: c:\windows\system32\drivers
File Description: Filter Driver for 2k and XP
File Version: 1.020 [1.0.2.0]
Product Name: GEARAspi
Product Version: 3.xx [1.0.2.0]
Company Name: GEAR Software

Driver Name: redbook.sys
File Description: Drivrutin för Redbook-ljudfilter
File Version: 5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920) [5.1.2600.1106]
Product Name: Operativsystemet Microsoft® Windows®
Product Version: 5.1.2600.1106 [5.1.2600.1106]
Company Name: Microsoft Corporation

Driver Name: asapiw2k.sys
File Description: ASAPI
File Version: 6, 0, 0, 1 [6.0.0.1]
Product Name: asapi
Product Version: 6, 0, 0, 1 [6.0.0.1]
Company Name: VOB Computersysteme GmbH
Driver Name: pxhelp20.sys
File Description: Px Engine Device Driver for Windows 2000/XP
File Version: 2.03.28a [2.3.28.0]
Product Name: PxHelp20
Product Version: [2.0.0.0]
Company Name: Sonic Solutions

Driver Name: imapi.sys
File Description: IMAPI Kernel Driver
File Version: 5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920) [5.1.2600.1106]
Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Product Version: 5.1.2600.1106 [5.1.2600.1106]
Company Name: Microsoft Corporation

I was told that the "lite ons" are not any good..this one I cleaned is a Lite on 832 and it would only burn dvd- until I got better firmware from sony its lasted 2 years without a hitch..time for a new one so you think this is a good one I have to say that the price is wicked low..Amazon.com is where I fond this one and I am getting it today

Maybe it's too late to catch you, but I'm not so sure you visited Newegg. Just take one look at the specials running on this page:

Keep in mind that some drives are OEM, which means that they're not in retail packaging. Sometimes, they might not come with any software either (which you don't really need anyway, since you're replacing an existing drive).

If you really wanted a Sony retail drive, this is the one I'd get (free 3-day shipping) at $42.99:

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

lol for some reason I didnt get Im going to look at this link very cool thanks

thanks sweet it comes with nero...I like that and a better deal price wise...thanks a lot

I had my sony dru-810a go flaky, so I just installed a sony dru830a, I am running XP sp2. It will not show any dvd inserted, it wil play any cd. I exchanged it and the same problem. I had Sony tech support tell me to install an ASPI driver which I did and it worked for a coouple of days. Now I exchanged it for anSamsun SH-S182D burner and same problem. My other burner a Sony dru810 still works abit a little flaky.
So the idea of air will not work in my case. any suggestions

Speedguy,
I suggest you start a new thread listing everything you've tried. I can tell you off the bat that ASPI drivers aren't necessary in Windows XP, and should be avoided when possible. 2000 and XP uses SPTI instead, which all DVD burners to date have been designed to use. The tech rep who told you to use ASPI was likely going out on a whim based on personal experience. I guarantee you that the company itself would never officially suggest that.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

I always thought that some dvd movies would install or corrupt files that would prevent the dvd drive from functioning properly. I have experienced that same problems on 4 drives. The last time that i experienced it was on a new dvd drive. Good thing i had a backup of my system, because it only took me 40 minutes to get it back up and running to a fresh install state. Everything was fine after that.

jpal2000,
I've heard some of the same stories, but have never had it happen to me. From what I understand, you have to have autoplay turned on in Windows, and still have to click "YES" to an install prompt before any DVD can mess with your system.

~cdogg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back