Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DVD-RW and DVD not found

Status
Not open for further replies.

joehahn

Technical User
Dec 27, 2002
US
I upgraded my PC from P-4 1.5 to P-4 2.26, new box and motherboard, from Intel board to MSI 845PE, loaded all drivers for new board, now DVD will not play using WinDVD or Power DVD, only a shareware program plays DVDs. HP Memories Disk software will not find CDRW or DVD-RW, even though it is an HP DVD writer. Roxio Platinum 5 works fine with both devices. I have uninstalled and reinstalled all of these programs. Also, WinMedia Player 9.0 will not play any audio CD's but the old Win CD player works fine and plays any audio CD. BIOS recognized all devices properly. I have added all Win98 patches to date. HP tech support was of no use. A little help?
Joe

MP:
Thanks for the link, but no help here, there are no error messages, the DVD player software, WinDVD and Power DVD start in autorun, indicating all is OK then just stop or indicate no device found. Media Player gives the usual "Digital playback" error. Remember some softwarks fine, indicating no hardware setup errors. Thanks for the thought.
Joe

what OS is used.
In DVD /CD ROM devices in device manager is there any question mark indicating the status of the device.

regards
MP

No, and I even entered safe mode, removed them both and had Windows reinstall them. They both use the Windows drivers dated 1999.

My final word ...Pls check if autoexec.bat and / or config.sys are loading the cd-rom at the DOS level which can cause a conflict.
I am running out of suggestions..Drop me a line when your problem is solved.

regards
MP

Nothing noted, I looked at all of the SYSEDIT files. Also, I added a SIS315 AGP, first time for me using this brand of card, it was low cost and got me 64MB RAM, it does add some odd drivers, I tried things with them and without them, via MSCONFIG, no help. My nex solution is upgrade to Win2000 Pro.
Thanks.

Check what type of DVD's you are playing. Some DVD Players can't play double layer format DVD's. I have a Philips DVDR 880 and it will play single layer but it won't play dual layer. It reports No Disc.

The dual layers play OK in my Samsung DVD.

I have played commercial DVD movies and home made DVD's, nothing works. But remember, a shareware program plays all of them just fine. Very confusing why WinDVD and PowerDVD and HP Memories Disk will not recognize the drives after autoplay starts them up.

Is it a resource problem? The shareware progs are unlikely to be Bloatware. Maybe you are running out of RAM? You can check the system resources level by right click on My Computer, Properties and then the Performance Tab.

I've just looked at mine, I'm just running IE6 & Outlook on the desktop and with 575mb of ram, I'm at 45%. i.e. I'm using 316MB of RAM at the moment.

However, when I do CRTL-Alt-del I see that I'm running a further 12 progs.

I have shut down everything, even McAfee, resources are fine, I have 256 MB of RAM, same as before when everything worked, I only upgraded the processor and the motherboard. Hard drive is 120 MB 7200 rpm Maxtor. Thanks for the suggestion.

The DVD shareware "may" work because of it's Multi-Regional capability.....If by doing all that fiddling of install/reinstall...you may have inadvertantly....reset the DVD software to the wrong region.....?....of which there are 5 "global regions.....
USA/Canada is 1,Europe is 2...and so on

I think maybe Newer programs and/or newer mobo's and cpu's are more "regionally sensitive".....
Try to find some changes in the sortware pertaining to these settings......

Be careful though....I've noticed when reinstalling my OEM DVD software.....I get a warning that I may ONLY change the "Region" 5 times ever.....After quite a few fdisks, and formats.....Fortunately this hasn't been an issue.....cause I realized I never changed "region"( I never moved far away), but I've reinstalled plenty.....

BTW...I've been in the reg and found that little pesky 5 limit change......so I know where to go(hopefully)..

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

I noticed the "Regional" settings and that warning, no effect when I changed them one time and back to USA. Thanks, though.
Joe

I'm thinking maybe the new mobo has some kind of Regional setting.....you know nowadays with all the DMCA(Digital Millenium Copyright Act)...crud going on......
It's just that these manu., have a way of not telling you what they've done, if anything...to help enforce the Copyright Laws....so people don't fiddle.....ya know....???

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

In pursuant to my last post....ESPECIALLY M$.....probably for good reason.....nah!

Notification:

To bring closure to this thread:
I tried everything anyone suggested, finally, I upgraded to Windows 2000, and after a uninstall/reinstall, all programs that did not find the CD-RW or DVD now work fine.
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back