Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DVD Rom won't read some DVDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

den21

Technical User
Dec 19, 2002
MY
I got a sony dvd rom-ddu1621 and i can't get it to run or play some certain type of dvd movies.I was thinking of upgrading its firmware.But will this solve my problem or i just have to except the fact that some movies will be unplayable on my drive.

Are you trying to play DVD's from a different region, are they original DVDs?

What player are you useing to play them?

Upgrading the firmware is something you should do regardless if it solves your problem or not.

But I would agree with the above that we need more info on what type of DVD's you are trying to play (i.e. store-bought, burned, etc).

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[stpatrick2] [navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Well its store bought.And i don't think its a region problem since i've use region killer.I've tried power dvd,pc friendly dvd,windows media player and interactual player but to no avail.And one more thing.I was able to browse the contents of the dvd but in there i've notice that all the .vob files have 0kb.I'm using a sony ddu1621 dvd-rom by the way.Also before this happend i was able to watch a particular dvd with no glicth.But now when i watch it again this happend.Any ideas

Make sure the default viewing program is set to something like PowerDVD or WinDVD, this can sometimes cause problems as it's looking in the wrong programs to run the video.

Right click the video file and select "open with..." then choose the relevant program and tick the box that makes it default.

Also take a look on downloads.com for any other dvd players, maybe ones that will play any kind of file?

Hope that helps.

Is it possible that the drive can't read the .vob files since its in 0kb.Like when i use windows media player to play my dvd media player does not see the dvd inside the drive.Also when i use interactual player it keeps asking me to insert the dvd into the drive as if it can't read the dvd or something.One more thing,my drive isn't broken or anything coz its only a few particular dvds that i can't watch.The rest its find.

Are the DVD's in question for the same region that the burner is set to? I know you said you used "region killer", but that's what the problem sounds like to me.

~cdogg
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[stpatrick2] [navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Well how can i be sure that the region on the disc is in sync with my power dvd.I thought that when you activate region killer it will automaticaly bypass the RPC2 on the dvd-rom.

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that question since multiple regions has never been a problem for me.

Where did you buy the DVD's that are causing problems? Are they from a local retail store or did you buy them online?

~cdogg
[tab][tab]- Aristotle

Well i bought them from a local retail store.I've use nero info tool to run a check on my drive and it got me thinking that could it be possble that sony ddu 1621 can't read double layer dvd disc.With single layer its find but with my other disc which are double layered this problem came up.

Nah...Any DVD-ROM or DVD burner should be able to read double-layered discs without a hitch (even first-generation DVD player set-tops can). You may have come across some information stating that DVD burners cannot make double-layered DVD's, which is definitely not the same as being able to read them.

Look, the Sony ddu1621 burner is well-known for its various problems and glitches in different environments. That's why there have been many firmware updates since its release. If you haven't done so already, I suggest that your next step should be to update it.

Just do a simple google search on "ddu1621 problem" to see a glimpse of the number of problems that drive has had and why you need to keep that firmware up-to-date.

Maybe its a glitch of the drive itself.I've already upgraded my firmware and did not face any problems with that.Later i try again to watch the dvds that it reads 0kb and one of it was able to play.I went into my dvd drive and the .vob files are no longer in 0kb.So i tried and play the movie and everything went great.So i thought it would.Later i took the dvd out and waited for around 10-15 minutes or so and tried again only to find out that the .vob files has returned into its "sizeless" state.This is weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back