Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DVD Rom reading issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

nogs2

MIS
Jan 10, 2005
GB
I am trying to access dvd drive to browse its contents. From both Windows and DOS it isnt accessible, in device manager the manufacturer and type are displayed.

I have tried changing the BIOS to AUTO detect, I have removed it from device manager and it has been re-installed.
I have also tried a brand new drive with both cd and dvds.

It is set to master and uses secondary master - I am sure the cable is working as I have used it for the HD and that worked perfectly.

Any ideas??

Nogs

Might try to get a copy of power dvd and see if you can read it with that software.

Might try looking at the device in windows and see if you have any kind of errors from it or if it shows up at all. This could be a windows problem in how the Drive is set up or not set up. I have seen where you have to change windows INI File to read from a drive. Especially if you recently moved the drive or added a new drive and changed around the order of the drives.

Some older software may not be compatible with WinXP SP2. Sometimes you need a patch or a newer version of the software that comes with the drive. Most likely the DVD part of the drive reads decodes the DVD with some software and the CPU is doing the decoding.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Hi ceh4702

Might try to get a copy of power dvd and see if you can read it with that software.

IS this freeware, where is the best place to get it??

Might try looking at the device in windows and see if you have any kind of errors from it or if it shows up at all. This could be a windows problem in how the Drive is set up or not set up. I have seen where you have to change windows INI File to read from a drive. Especially if you recently moved the drive or added a new drive and changed around the order of the drives.

You can see the drive in device manager, but cant browse it in explorer or my computer (or dos)

Some older software may not be compatible with WinXP SP2. Sometimes you need a patch or a newer version of the software that comes with the drive. Most likely the DVD part of the drive reads decodes the DVD with some software and the CPU is doing the decoding.

At the moment I am still running win 98 - I havnt managed to get it to read the xp disc!!!

I think your post is fine and all suggestions are gladly recieved

Nogs

At the moment I am still running win 98 - I havnt managed to get it to read the xp disc!!!

If all you want to do is upgrade to XP, you can do this by booting with the XP disk in the drive..

IS this freeware, where is the best place to get it??

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

Hi Lloydsev,

I will take alook at the software but feel that the issue is possibly at bios level;
If all you want to do is upgrade to XP, you can do this by booting with the XP disk in the drive..

I would do this but cant see the cd drive to boot on the xp disk - hence my problem

Nogs

BIOS can't see the DVD Rom drive?

You said device manager shows the device, which would imply that the BIOS can see the drive....

CCNA

Your right Lloydsev, it must be at windows level as device manager is picking it up. Still cant see the drive on bootup though or in DOS.

have you tried this dvd rom in another system to see if the behavior is the same?

CCNA

I have tried 2 dvd roms - one is brand new, both act the same

i'm saying, have you tried it in another system?

CCNA

Just tried the brand new drive in my PC works fine - I am using it cable select though and secondary master on the other PC

If the BIOS cant see the drive maybe the jumper on the back of the drive is set wrong or the cable is backwards or the IDE cable is bad. You might try changing the settings around from manual to auto or something like that. Sometimes if you just change the settings BACK AND FORTH the BIOS will then see it. Might play with the setting on the jumper between Mater (M), Slave (S), Cable Select (CS). Sometimes it makes a difference what kind of cable you are using. i.e. 40 wire or 80 wire. 80 wire should be Ultra ATA. Also if the BIOS can see it set it to the highest DMA setting.

I cant remember who makes power dvd, but it is sometimes provided with a DVD player for free. An older version doesnt cost much. If you are still using win98 be advised that it may require up to a 600Mhz processor just use a DVD Drive as a minimum requirement for the DVD. It varies and sometimes you can go a little low and it will still work.

Lloydsev

I have tried the drive in another systems and it works fine

Nogs

For Win98, first; with the DVD uninstalled, fire up in safe mode and open the device manager. Check out at least CDROM, Disk Drives & Hard Disk Controllers, delete any device(s) you do not have physically installed. If there are multiple entries for the same device, be sure you don't delete the one(s) in use. Be xtra careful with the HD Controllers, you should have three items in that category. If you haven't done this before, & you've removed/moved hardware without first deleting it from device manager, you'll likely find a few that need to go.

Then install the DVD, boot normally and see if it works. If it doesn't, in device manager, make sure the DVD and any other device on the same controller have "disconnect" checked. Next, toggle the sync data check box. Finally, jumper it to master and make it the only device on the cable/secondary controller.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back