Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DVD Rom makes a ticking sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCurry15

Technical User
Jul 24, 2001
US
I just recently bought a DVD rom drive. Whenever I put a CD or DVD in, it makes an annoying ticking noise. It sounds like the disk is not level so it is hitting something, but I have taken the drive out and tried putting it in a different bay. No luck..... Does anybody have any ideas on what is causing this or how I can fix it?

If the ticking is coming through when using the drive then try disabling 32-bit protected mode disk drivers. You can do this by right clicking my Computer/Properties/ Performance/File System/Troubleshooting and selecting "disable 32-bit protected-mode disk drivers".
I hope this helps.

Turning off the 32-bit protected mode disk drivers did not help any. It still makes the ticking sound. It also makes most of the games un playable with that driver turned off.

Are you getting errors or having problems accessing the drive, or is it just making the ticking noise? It might only be a noisy drive mech for now, but better to play it safe and not put any more DVD's or CD's in that drive. Fixing it is probably not worth the effort. I would just return the drive for a replacement if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back