Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dvd-rom drive problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

metrix007

Technical User
Dec 26, 2001
AU
hi, sorry if it iss in the wrong forum. i have a pioneer 16x dvd-rom drive, not the slot one, the normal one. it never used to do this, but now it takes forever to copy, and to even read a disk. and it sometimes ignores cd's i have burnt, as i said it never used to do this. i am using win2k, thankyou in advance.

sounds like it could be a corrupt driver. I would download the current driver from the DVD manufacturer's web site and see if that solves it.

Donahuem,

I am a bit confused by your suggestion. CDROM and DVD-ROM drives have the "firmware" built-in. When you add one to your system, Windows doesn't need to install a driver. It communicates directly with the ROM information on the drive.

Metrik007,

It could be a number of possibilities. Off the bat, it sounds like you may need to clean the drive. Also, right-click My Computer, click Properties, go to Hardware, and click Device Manager. Make sure everything here checks out ok (you don't see any flags on any devices - ! or X)

I have a pioneer 16x dvd as well. When watching a movie it seems as though it plays slower than my dvd player connected to my tv. I have a K7S5A Motherboard, Athlon 900 MHZ,128MB of ram and running Win98. What could cause it to slow down?

24Peaches,

One big difference between your set-top DVD player and your DVD-ROM in your pc is that the one in your pc is probably running on a "software decoder". The set-top DVD player uses hardware for its decoding which is more efficient.

I would say that with an Athlon 900MHz, it shouldn't run much slower, if at all. Try optimizing your swapfile, defragment the hard drive - basic things like that first. Clean up *.tmp files and check the settings of the DVD software you use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back