Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DVD problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slack3r

Technical User
Sep 23, 2003
GB
Ok, heres the problem, I have a DVD-rom in my comp. I have to roms. I have one DVD which is my slave, and one Burner which is my primary. Now the problem is this. I bought my DVD player not even a year ago. Now I am having this problem where it wont read a THING! I will put a cd in, it will spin up, then it says that there is not a cd in the dvd player. Well the funny part is this. About 1 - 2 months ago, I would put in a system CD in like win98 SE, and it would see that, then I could put in a DVD after that and watch it. Now if I put anything in it wont see it. But the really funny thing is this. I took the dvd player out of my comp, restarted my comp, shut it down, put the dvd player back in, then I started it back up. Now I put in a system disc, and it will do the same thing, it will see the disc, then I can put a dvd in and watch it (that was last night). But today, it wont read a thing again. Any ideas? Also, it did this on both Win98 SE and Win2k. Any ideas at all?

Thx for any help.

Are both ROM's on the same IDE cable?
(side note: for cop.. er backing stuff up, you will get better performance and less buffer underruns if they are on different IDE cables, also this is known to cure some conflicts where devices are very similar)

Have you set the jumpers to master and slave or do you have one set to cable select?

Does your mainboard recognise both from the bios?

Does windoze have the correct drivers installed for both?

Have you deleted both from windows hardware manager and let it reinstall them?
(nips off to check he aint on the linux forum.. ok back now)

What drives are they? Make /model

There that should illicit an answer or two :)
Party on, dudes!

Yes, both of my roms are on the same IDE cables.
If I did switch them, I have 2 hard drives also on the same IDE cables, so should I put 1 hard drive, and 1 rom on the same cable?

Yes, I have my jumpers on my burner set to master, and I have my jumpers set to slave for my DVD player

Yes, my Mainboard does recognize it from the Bios

Well, for my burner, yes, but I never had drivers installed for the rom, all I have is Power dvd (its software rendering) I am not aware that a dvd player like this would need drivers.

No actually, I havnt tried that yet....good idea, i'll try it.

Well i have a hp cd writer 9100 series (no problems with this one) and my dvd player is a:
Sony
Model # - DDU1211

Thats all I know about my dvd player.

OK 2 Hard disks, you will get better file transfer speed from hdd1 -> hdd2 if these are on different cables too, if you regularly burn stuff from one of these drives to the cd writer then make sure these are also not on the same IDE cable.

so the hdd and cd-ROM that you use MOST to write TO the writer should be on the SAME ide cable with the Writer on the OTHER cable.

Did I make that clear, it kinda looks confusing now ;-) ***************************************
Party on, dudes!

Yea I got ya, but I dont burn from my dvd to my cd writer. All I want to do is SEE things WITH my dvd player. I cannot see a game, I cannot see a music cd, I cannot play a game from it, nor can i play a music cd from it. I cannot see a dvd from it, nor can i play a dvd from it. And no I dont use my dvd player and my cd writer to copy games from.

But thx.

The point is to seperate the two CD drives onto different IDE cables to ive windows a more sporting chance of identifying them correctly in order to use them. ***************************************
Party on, dudes!

Ok, I did what you said, I pretty much just swapped my hard drives around like this:

Original settings:

IDE 1
20 GB hard drive was secondary (slave)
80 GB hard drive as primary (master)

IDE 2
Burner as primary (master)
DVD as secondary (slave)

New settings:

IDE 1
20 GB HD as secondary (slave) (stayed in same place and settings)
Burner as primary (master) I moved this from IDE 2 to IDE1

IDE 2
80 GB HD as primary (master) I moved this one from IDE 1 to IDE 2
DVD as secondary (slave) (stayed in same place and settings)

Well that didnt work, when I started my comp up it said there was no CP, or CT something like that.

I reset everything back to the original settings after this.

The next thing I tried, was unplugging my burner. That did not work either.

My next step was to make my DVD player as the master and unplug my burner. My comp then did not see anything as I still had the ide plugged into my burner.

The next thing I did was I totally uplugged my burner. Now I could see my DVD player, but it still would not read the DVD even though it was the ONLY thing on the IDE at the time.

The funny thing is though, that it was reading some dvds last night.

Any other suggestions?

//small oversight - meant to say set all your ide devices to autodetect in bios before moving them round or you'll not find them correctly .
otherwise sounds like your DVD is KBD so:
Get a warranty replacement on your DVD drive. ***************************************
Party on, dudes!
[cannon]

hi all
i also have a ddu1211 and am also having some trouble. originally it worked fine and very fast but then one day it stopped reading audio cd's all together and became considerably slower with data cd's. So i left it for a while and now it reads audio cd's fine, plays dvd's fine and data cd's are still very slow. If i try burning from dvd to burner it takes forever and its not because they are on the same ide line because originally when everything was working fine it was quite fast.
Reinstalling windows XP or Win 98 does not work. I am not sure y the dvd's speed would change???? any clues???
cya

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back