Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DVD plus/minus re-writer problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberprof

Programmer
Jun 10, 2003
GB
I have just installed a NEC 1300A dual format DVD re-writer into my PC. I am using Nero 6 and Nero Vision Express to create a new DVD. When I place a blank DVD -R disc into the drive, and click on 'Disc Info', Nero says that the drive is empty.

The drive will play DVD's fine and write normal CD-R's OK

I am using XP Pro.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you get round it.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers

J

A few basic questions here but they have to be answered:
Have you installed the correct hardware drivers for the burner or did XP pro automatically detect and install the device-if it did you will need to reinstall the drivers from the disk that came with the device.
What speed can the device write DVDs at? Are you sure you have the correct speed writable DVDs?

"Sometimes I do not know but I try hard"- R.F. Haughty 1923

As far as I can tell, XP installed it's own driver. Also, I did not get any software with the drive

I have been to the NEC website and it seems that no drivers is available/required

Can you contact a NEC support center as I am sure that this is whats causing the problem(drivers)

I just bought a DVD burner and its a DVD+RW. The minus and plus are different technologies and mine told me to use +RW dvd's. Check your manual and see which technology your DVD is

cyberprof,
As lesgray pointed out, try another brand of DVD-R. Cheaper drives sometimes have trouble reading off-brand media.

kippy13,
Most of the time, you do not need to install a driver for optical drives like CDROMs, DVD-ROMs, and CD/DVD burners. These kinds of drives use firmware which loads the driver automatically in Windows. The only way to change the driver is to update the firmware. Although there may be a firmware update available at NEC's website, I doubt that's the problem here. The drive should have no problem recognizing DVD discs out of the box. Most likely another brand will work.

darnell1,
That's a good point, but cyberprof is using a "dual format" burner that can work with either plus or minus.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle

Thanks for all the advice.

It appears that the media was at fault. The discs I were using came with the drive and were of cheaper quality. I have been advised to use discs with the Rytech dye, which I have and they work fine.

Cheers

J

cdogg
When I said hardware drivers I meant firmware, apologies for that.
Glad to hear the problem has been resolved.

kippy13:

"[blue]Have you installed the correct hardware drivers for the burner or did XP pro automatically detect and install the device-if it did you will need to reinstall the drivers from the disk that came with the device.[/blue]"

Not to be picky, but you can't really substitute "firmware" for "hardware drivers" in that statement. Firmware works differently and doesn't involve either an installation disc or manual installation of drivers. Firmware is always detected by the OS (or should be) and a backup of that firmware doesn't normally come with the device.

Just trying to be constructive on the criticism, so I'll end it there!
[wink]

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle

Cdogg,
Your dead right, I dont know what I was thinking,
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor