Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dvd player wont play voice ? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ratzo

Technical User
Jun 21, 2006
AU
Hi I have installed a new samsung dvd writer , it plays the music in the video but when the actors speak there is no voice sound ,( and I havent learnt to lip read . lol ) why would this be ? I still have the cd player connected and it works fine .
thanks in advance

Have you selected the correct audio channel?

Ian Mayor (UK)
Program Error
Programming is 1% coding, 50% error checking and 49% sweat as your application bombs out in front of the client.

I'm tipping that you've selected 5:1 surround sound and you only have a Stereo system. I've found that most voice comes out of the centre speaker with Surround sound and the music, because it's stereo comes out of the left and right.

Worth a try changing the settings in the dvd options.

Cheers!!!!!!
CR

Is the DVD player correctly connected with the internal audio cable ?

Pascal.

Thanks all for the replies .... firstly all I have done is instal it and set the jumper as recomended by samsung to master and my cd write to slave . I note samsung show a audio cable as well ... I havent got one and another computer tech said I shouldnt need one is that correct or wrong ? The pc i s about 2yrs old and the cd writer dosent have an audio cable ???

Ian I have hopefully set the audio channel to what samsung sugest ....what setting would you sugest ?

thanks

When using a DVD the unit won't use the Audio cable, the audio cable is only used for music CDs. All sound when playing a DVD will be passed through the IDE cable then decoded by the system.

Cheers!
F

Like funkytuna said, the audio is passing over the IDE cable, so don't worry about the physical configuration of your drive.

What you need to do is look at the audio settings in the software you are using for DVD playback. It's probably set to decode 5.1 dolby digital, but you only have 2 speakers. You need to change it to downmix to 2-channel stereo instead.

It also wouldn't hurt to check the settings in Windows too. Under the Control Panel, double-click "Sounds and Audio Devices". Depending on your sound card hardware, the settings here will vary, but see if you have an advanced settings for the speakers. Make sure Windows is set to use "desktop stereo speakers" if you see that setting.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Hi
Indeed the problem was with the sound card . I updated the driver and all works well .
Thanks for the help , much appreciated .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back