Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DVD Player - FREE (keyboard shortcuts) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrzejek

Programmer
Jan 10, 2006
US
There is a DVD player on Windows 11

DVD_eqtdnv.png

When I start it, it displays a message, something about using keyboard shortcuts. But, what are they?

Did some Google search, but could not find anything. Arrow keys and Enter 'kind-of' work, but what about the rest of DVD's functions?

---- Andy

"Hmm...they have the internet on computers now"--Homer Simpson

Tried that, hitting the F1 key doesn't do anything...:-(

---- Andy

My DVD player on Windows 11 uses the very same keyboard shortcuts I use in VLC media player, and on any other platform. It makes it very convenient that I don't need to remember different sets of shortcuts when I am on different computers.

If this was not clear, I am suggesting the use of VLC instead of this likely spammy "DVD Player - FREE" third party app from V3TApps (not Microsoft). Whenever you see the word "FREE" in all caps in a software store, check the actual price by reading the privacy policy. You're giving up a lot to use this "FREE" software.

And to clarify why DVD player software is not built into Windows anymore, there are two primary reasons. First, few systems use optical drives. That's legacy technology. Second, there has been a licensing cost for the MPEG2 decoder used by DVD players. Microsoft saves money by not having to pay for that anymore.

All what I did was - I have a DVD from a local library and I wanted to watch it on my Win11 computer. I just hit Windows key, typed "DVD", hit Enter, and that's what showed up. Yes, it is clunky to say the least, but I've managed (somehow) to watch it.
I may just take your advise: eliminate this DVD player and install VLC instead. [thumbsup2]

---- Andy

Like spamjim, I use VLC to play my DVDS (and also MPC-HD, although it hasn't been updated in a while). You can also use VLC to download YouTube videos...

Yes, I downloaded VLC and looks like it is working OK. Haven't watched many DVDs lately, so VLC should suffice.
I just need to uninstall the FREE DVD Player now...
[thumbsup2]

---- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back