Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DVD on XP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I installed XP and now no DVD software will work on it. Any ideas. Does XP install DirectX or not?

Hmm - that seems odd im1b4u - I have XP RC2 and installed WinDVD 1.3.4 on it - it all works fine. Actually, I also found that the Windows Media can use the DVD codec from WinDVD and play DVDs itself after installation. (Though - perhaps the old one could do that too - I just never tried!(

XP comes with directx 8.1, however I am also having the same DVD issue. I am running the ATI software and have not been able to get it to play.

This is how I got arround the dvd issue....found a third party dvd software like windvd.....then I put in my Star Wars (The Phantom Menace)dvd and it installed a pretty good dvd player for me called INTER ACTUAL it works and it is free.... Give it a try and like I said it is free, well more or less(the costs of the dvd)

I just installed InterVideo WinDVD 2000 and it works great with XP Pro - Windows media player will also play DVD's once you have installed this (as stated in previous post).

I've read in other forums that WinDVD did not work with XP. I did a CLEAN install of XP Pro, perhaps this is an issue that arises when XP was installed using the UPGRADE option.

Also, I went to the Intervideo site and they do have a patch for XP.

This should help any of you who are having trouble with WinDVD and XP.

I haven't got round to installing my DVD player as I'd rather download the proper drivers rather than Microsoft ones but I have seen DVD problems mentioned on a few forums. The following link may allow you to play your DVDs through Windows Media Player, obviously not great but might be worth a try.

XP Media Player 8 DVD Pack

Hope this helps
Chris

PowerDVD 2.55 has no probs with XP.

Nor does WinDVD 3.0.

(I've not had any probs with either). Andrew Shepherd
AWMS IT Services
Tektips related emails to - tektips@awmsnet.com

PowerDVD 2.55 has no probs with XP.

Nor does WinDVD 3.0.

(I've not had any probs with either).

Andrew Shepherd