Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DVD Drive not showing on "My Computer"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tejanorey

Technical User
Mar 23, 2002
US
I put a DVD in and my computer froze..I then had to put a needle in the hole of the drive to take the dvd out..and restarted my computer...now I don't show a DVD drive under "My Computer" and when I put a DVD in the computer I can hear it loading but nothing happens..

Tejanorey

"Do not attack the First Marine Division. Leave the yellowlegs alone. Strike the American Army."
- Orders given to Communist troops in the Korean War; shortly afterward, the Marines were ordered to not wear their khaki leggings to keep the enemy from immediately fleeing

See if this helps out...

faq602-5358

or these:

How to Troubleshoot CD-ROM Drive Problems in Windows XP (Q314096)

missing Drives in My Computer and Windows Explorer (Q191579)

320553 - CD-ROM Drive or DVD-ROM Drive Missing After You Install Windows XP

if they do not work, then either the DVD is shot or the IDE cable is loose or damaged...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Is this drive installed instead of something else, or as well as existing devices? What's your lineup? IDE HDD Master, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM etc etc...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Its the laptop for a laptop...has worked for me for the whole time I owned the laptop (bought it new 4 years ago). Its a DVD/CD Recordable Drive.

Tejanorey

"Do not attack the First Marine Division. Leave the yellowlegs alone. Strike the American Army."
- Orders given to Communist troops in the Korean War; shortly afterward, the Marines were ordered to not wear their khaki leggings to keep the enemy from immediately fleeing

Ok, I slightly misunderstood your post...

Is the drive recognised in the BIOS?

As Santei has posted, does it show up in Device Manager?

Assuming it's an internal drive, does it easily detach from the laptop? There's sometimes just one screw securing it, and it'll pull out. Maybe pull it out and refit - this action could help "clean" the connections, should this be the problem.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back