Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DVD DRIVE HANGS UP XP BOOT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dazmac

Programmer
Nov 5, 2001
GB
I am working on a problem with a DELL dimension PC, running XP Home. On power up the system begins to boot into XP then hangs up at the first (black) logo screen. The DVD drive light is flickering constantly. On ejecting the tray of this drive the boot into Xp resumes and completes successfully. However on closing the (empty) tray at this point the light starts flickering again and the disc icon appears next to the mouse pointer. DELL suggest uninstalling driver and reloading, done this, no joy. I suspect a faulty DVD drive but am having problems convincing DELL "expert".
N.B. this problem is from new, out of the box, no changes made to system, any help ?????????

Dazmac

"any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic " - Arthur.C.Clarke

I agree, bad dvd. A new system (cyberpower) purchased last year did the same thing with cdrw. I called them and they said check to make sure that the connectors didn't creep, that they're in all the way. Did that, didn't help. They said take it out send it back, they sent a new one, never had the problem again.

Mindy

Sounds like a defective drive. Unplug it and then see if XP boots normally. If it does, bad drive.

Thanks for the help guys, Checked all connections and disabled in BIOS etc without any success. Removed IDE cable and boots fine without drive. Managed to convince techie at DELL call centre in India that here in the UK we do occasionally know what we are talking about, new DVD drive in the post !!

Dazmac

"any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic " - Arthur.C.Clarke

New DVD-ROM drive delivered by Mr. Dell this morning, popped in, cabled up, boot perfect. Magic!

Dazmac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back