Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DVD/CDRW drive not seen

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRJohnston

Technical User
Sep 9, 2001
GB
I recently bought a second hand PC with a completely formatted hard drive and with no CD drive. I went out and bought a DVD/CDRW drive made by LG Electronics (GCC-4120B).
I managed to use it to install Win95 but when Win95 booted there was no sign of my new drive in the list of devices. In the user manual it said that I would need to check that the IDE controller drivers were working properly but they weren't. I managed to download an updated version of these drivers and the IDE controllers are now working. The drive is meant to be a plug and play device so there is nothing to download from the LG web-site. I know that the drive works because I am able to use ms-dos prompt and a simple dos CD driver, from a boot disk, to view the contents of CDs but because all the programs need to be run in WIN95 this is not much help.

Thanks MJ

Try running "add new hardware" and let the hardware wizard
search for it. It should detect it and at least install a standard cdrom driver. Then install the software that came with the cdr/dvd so it will have the proper drivers and function as such.

I tried that but the computer keeps on crashing

I did Tried that again and it didn't crash this time but it did not find anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back