Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DVD causing huge system slowdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben64

Technical User
Dec 7, 2002
US
I just got a new DVD-Rom drive, I installed it, and now my computer is very slow. Opening a program takes about 10 times longer and I don't like it like this. (Obviously)

Windows 98 1st Edition
AMD XP 2000+
256MB DDR Ram
MSI K7 Master-S (MS-6341) motherboard
Samsung DVD-Rom (I don't know what model number)

Hi
Double check your install, cables and software. Check all your components that they are tightly in there slots and the cables are inserted fully. Check to see if the DVD software is running in the background eating up resources. Try uninstalling just the DVD software, no change in speed then remove the drive. See if your PC returns to the speed your use to. Sometimes you can get a bad piece of hardware not usual but it does happen.
I think another thing you should try is to upgrade to Windows 98 sec edition. This will solve a load of problems with multimedia hardware and software compatibility. You didn't mention any other components in your PC such as CD-RW ZIP Drives. Try to place the DVD drive on your second IDE cable as a Master Drive and make sure you have the DMA checked in the DVD drives properties. Make sure you have the latest Direct X file installed also. Hope this helps a bit. Good Luck
Bytz

Hi,

When you say "Opening a program takes about 10 times longer"
do you mean opening a installed program on your hard-drive or running a program from cd ?

If you mean the last then check if the "DMA" option is enabled. You can find it in device manager and then right clicking on the dvd-drive and choose "properties". There is a option called "DMA". Make sure it is checked.

Hi there,

Have you check what devices are the master and the slave?.
At the back of the DVD-R should be a little jumper which configure the driver as a master or slave. This jumper is convering two pins, check that the jumper is over the rigth two pins. There would be a diagram telling you where to put the jumper depending if you want that specific device as a master(MA or MS) or slave (SL or SA).
If it´s in the wrong place the device will slow down the other IDE devices or even making the system not be able the detect them.

I hope it would help you, please let me know because otherwise I´ve got in mind a couple of possible causes more...

Rgds.

Ben64
How are things working out? Let us know if you found a sulution? One other thing that can cause your system to slow down would be if your power supply was under rated. Check your power supply that it is putting out enough watts. You should have at lease a 300w PS to run smooth.
Good Luck
Bytz

Sorry for taking so very long, but I've been going through more computer problems. Anyway. I eventually switched the DVD-Rom to the second IDE cable and it works great. Thanks to everyone who replied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back