Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Duplication of TCP/IP protocol

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwert123

MIS
Dec 4, 2001
US
Our sales reps connect to their mail over the internet, but on a number of occasions they have called to say that they can not connect to the internet. On investigating the problem we have discovered that within Network Neighbourhood there are duplicate occurrences of the TCP/IP protocol. When we delete the extra TCP/IP protocols they can connect to the internet. Does anyone know what causes TCP/IP to duplicate itself? They are using Win 98.

Thank you for your help

Did they have any kind of old NIC? Maybe its causing a conflict? Just a guess... Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

They have always had the same NIC. It doesn't happen every time they try to connect.

Is this a laptop in question? Sometimes if they put the NIC in a different PCMCIA slot, it will produce duplicate TCP/IP Protocol entries.

Just a thought...

Each TCP/IP entry "binds" to each communication adapter in your system.

For example, you'll have TCP/IP bound to a "dial up adapter", a LAN Adapter, a VPN adapter, etc...

However, you should only have a single entry for "Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)", but it will be "bound" to all of your communication adapters.

Bill.

Good point Bill! However, it seems that qwert123 is actually talking about "identical" TCP/IP entries binded to the same exact adapter. I've seen this before, mostly on laptops.

Qwert123,

Are the TCP/IP entries you're referring to exactly identical? What's the name of the adapter?

Their adapter is an IBM 10/100 Etherjet cardbus. They also have an internal modem.

OK, but is the TCP/IP Protocol entry that you're deleting exactly identical to the one you leave behind? In other words, each TCP/IP entry is binded to a specific adapter. You should have at least 2 on each system - one for the IBM NIC and one for the internal modem.

Yes the TCP/IP protocol entry deleted is identical to the one left behind. After deleted the extra entries I am left with one TCP/TP entry for the IBM NIC and one for the modem.

What kind of systems are these? Laptops, Desktops? ARe they constantly being upgraded (hardware)? After you delete these extra TCP/IP Protocol entries, do they reappear?

Just trying to help with your original question...

It only occurs on laptops. The hardware has not changed and is not upgraded. After deleting the protocols they may or may not reappear in that they don't reappear everytime they disconnect their laptops from their docking stations when they leave the building to travel.

That's what I expected to hear!

Sounds like the users are shuffling the IBM 10/100 card into different PCMCIA slots (I'm assuming it's not built-in). As a quick test, I would try it yourself. Simply boot up with the card in the other PCMCIA slot and see if that protocol reappears. You may need to reboot twice to see it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back