Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

duplicating objects on a circular path

Status
Not open for further replies.

KushielsTart

Technical User
Nov 16, 2008
US
I know that there is an easy answer to this so I am sorry for asking. I've gone through Illustrator help, my books, and several websites.

I am trying to duplicate a small circle in a equal number of steps along a circular path, so that I get a circle of small dots. I know I have done this before but for the life of me cannot remember which tool will do it. I've tried the blend tool, and the offset path tool.

I truly appreciate any help.

This is how I do it:

position your small circle at the top of your circular path. Then while the small circle is selected, select the Rotate tool, press and hold the Option Key (for PC:ALT key) and then click in the center of the circular path. The Rotate dialog box comes up and then enter 360/X (x being the number of small circles to go around the path). Then click Copy. Then pres CMND D (or CTRL D) the number of times for each small circle to go around the path.

...you could also simply create a pattern brush by dragging your circle to the brushes palette, apply the brush to a path...

...double click the brush and change the spacing percentage (100% will give the same space as the circle width, 200% will double it), and adjust the scale if required...

Andrew

...sorry, should be saying "circle diameter" rather than "width"...

...but you get the idea...

: )

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back