Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

duplicating and removing mc's

Status
Not open for further replies.

quickblueink

Technical User
Apr 5, 2001
US
imagine a resume page. To the left are buttons for experience, skills, education, etc. When you press the button a "file card" scrolls up from the bottom with the info. if you press another button, the "file card" that is up scrolls down, and the new one scrolls up.

it works OK now, with a few exceptions. What happens is the button you pressed checks to see if others are open, if so it closes, then it duplicates the card and scrolls it up.

for some mysterious reason, the button only works AFTER the 2nd time you hit it. Also, is there any way to duplicate a movie clip that is NOT on the main timeline, just in the library (i have flash 5). I have tried every version of code i can think of. So far, the one that works best looks like this:

(Skill button)
on (release) {
if (expClip._currentframe == 15) {
expClip.play();
i--;
}
if (eduClip._currentframe == 15) {
eduClip.play();
i--;
}
i++;
duplicateMovieClip ("mainCard", "skillCard", i);
setProperty ("skillCard", _x, "364");
setProperty ("skillCard", _y, "302.5");
_root.skillCard.textCard.gotoAndStop(2);
skillCard.Play(1);
}

you can check out what i have so far @ geocities.com/quickblueink
only experience, skills, and education work...if you click "contact" you can download the .fla
thanks,
M.austin

also, if anyone reading this is using flash mx, and is familiarwith flash 4 and 5, i would like to know how it rates up. is it worth upgrading?

Well as far as the first question what is i before you click the button? and with the flash mx thing. i just upgraded recently. I love flash mx because its really helping me do some things i always wanted to do with flash 5 but it wasnt capable of. I can finally load mp3s Dynamically and it makes text effects easier if you make your own. and lots more. But it really depends what your doing. If Flash 5 is doing everything you want it to do why upgrade? sure flash mx sounds cooler and the layout is a little different and easier to use but if you dont need it dont buy it even though it is pretty cool!
Thats my opinion!

Shenn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back