Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Duplicating a 2003 Domain Controller 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gee4u

Programmer
Jul 21, 2003
NZ
What we want to do is: Duplicate our Domain in a test Enviroment to have an exact copy of AD for testing migration of servers.
Have tryed restoring A DC from bauckup. but without the exact Hardware this does not work and get a blue screen.

Is it possible to acheve this.

Just Install Windows in that box and join it to your live network. Make sure you have DNS installed on the box that you are going to have in the lab and have it configured to be an AD DNS. Let AD and DNS replicate then remove it from the network by just unplugging it. Then you can remove any entries from AD of your live network (if you want) and have your box to be a replicate of the live network.

Gladys Rodriguez
GlobalStrata Solutions

Thanks I was thinking along these lines but the problem is the FISMO roles for the new Domain. Would it be posible to move the FISMO roles from exsitinf DC to new DC going into LAB. then maybe image this DC and transfer the FISMO roles back afterwards. Is there problems transfering FISMO roles like this.

u may ghost a DC, be aware not to let them online together. there will be GUID and SID issues.

ghost or snapshot will not work due to different hardware (server types

Benlu is right never, every consider having any connection from the duplicated lab FSMO to the network.
I would not move the rolls from the production FSMO to the lab and then back again, your asking for problems.
You can not transfer the roles to and from a duplicate FSMO, this would require a connection between them. You really do not want to bust up your production AD network by doing this. Once the lab FSMO is isolated, seize the roles on the isolated lab machine.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

I never mentioned to move FSMOs back. That is why I mentioned that once he disconnect the machine from the live network, he could "remove any entries from AD of your live network (if you want)." What I meant with that is remove the computer object from the live AD network and from the live DNS. This means that there is no way back. He just have to make sure that all the FSMOs are moved to use only the current live servers before he removes the lab server.

Gladys Rodriguez
GlobalStrata Solutions

Thanks Globalstrata,

All worked a treat and I am happy.

Regards,
Graham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back