Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Duplicates 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

blairclw

Technical User
Mar 1, 2005
US
I have a report that has the employee name, address, city, state but now I need to add the county and that is in another table. When I go to link the table on PersonID it gives me duplicates. Anyway to make that stop?

You more than likely have a join issue. Can you check your join on the 2 tables and post it here, including both tables structure

-- Jason
"It's Just Ones and Zeros

Ok, I assume your talking about my tables so I've typed them in below. The Join Type is INNER and LinkType is equal. I'm linked by PersonIdNo. When I add the second table (Persons_Addresses) is when I get duplicates.

FIRST TABLE

xxx_PERSONS_PRIMARYADDRESSES_CURR

PersonIdNo
FirstName
MiddleName
LastName
SocialSecurityNo
Birthdate
PersonAddress1
PersonAddress2
PersonAddressCity
PersonAddressStateProvince
PersonAddressPostcode

NEXT TABLE:

PERSON_ADDRESSES

PersonIdNo
PersonAddressSeqNo
PersonAddressTypeIDNo
PersonAddressType
PersonAddress1
PersonAddress2
PersonAddressCity
PersonAddressStateProvinceIdNo
PersonAddressStateProvince
PersonAddressCountryCodeIdNo
PersonAddressCountryCode
PersonAddressCountyIdNo
PersonAddressCounty
PersonAddressPostcode
PersonAddressFromEffectDate
PersonAddressToEffectDate
PersonAddressChangeDate

Instead of linking just on personID, try linking on city and postcode and the other matching address fields from each table.

-LB

It looks like (based on the name) that the table xxx_PERSONS_PRIMARYADDRESSES_CURR
contains the "primary" addresses that are "current" for each person.
It also looks like xxx_PERSONS_PRIMARYADDRESSES_CURR is a view (or snapshot) of PERSON_ADDRESSES and PERSONS, containing information from both these tables.

As there is a ID field called {PERSON_ADDRESSES.PersonAddressStateProvinceIdNo}, you might be lucky enough to have a table with this as the primary key - probably called {STATE_PROVINCE.StateProvinceIdNo}, or something similar. If your luck holds, this table would contain the country, or at least the CountryCodeIdNo.
So, you could skip joining to PERSON_ADDRESSES altogether, and just inner join xxx_PERSONS_PRIMARYADDRESSES_CURR to STATE_PROVINCE on {xxxStateProvince}.
If possible, talking to the database developer about this problem is the best longterm solution - putting the Country in with the xxx_PERSONS_PRIMARYADDRESSES_CURR table/view is a simple change, and would make life much easier for future reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back