Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

duplicates on palm

Status
Not open for further replies.

hparker

IS-IT--Management
Aug 20, 2002
US
Does anyone out there know of a free duplicates remover for palm?

Why do you need a duplicates remover? Are there duplicates on the desktop you're syncing with as well? If not, simply perform a hard reset on your Palm device, then re-synchronize with the desktop.

AlphaGuy

Sorry for the second thread here. When you try to sync (after the hard reset), the hot sync manager will pop up a window allowing you to select the user name you want to use. Make sure to select the same username (only an issue if you're syncing more than one device to the same computer) you used before. To perform a hard reset, hold down the power button while pressing the reset button on the back.

Note: PERFORMING A HARD RESET WILL ERASE ALL DATA FROM THE PALM DEVICE!

The data should all be recovered on the following hot sync.

Good luck!

AlphaGuy

The duplicates are showing up on the desktop as well as the palm. Not sure of why the anomaly is occuring. We recently changed our desktop at work to win2k. We began to experience syncing problems and duplicates in addition to users palm unit not being able to identify users during the sync process. The problems occur while using palm desktop 3.5 and 4.1. We are a Novell shop and we use syncwise pro to sync with groupwise. Thanks

The duplicates are showing up on the desktop as well as the palm. Not sure of why the anomaly is occuring. We recently changed our desktop at work to win2k. We began to experience syncing problems and duplicates in addition to users palm unit not being able to identify users during the sync process. The problems occur while using palm desktop 3.5 and 4.1. We are a Novell shop and we use syncwise pro to sync with groupwise. Thanks

I've had problems with duplicates appearing on my Palm when I sync with Groupwise as well. It has only been within my Date Book which duplicates have occured, and they are always repeating events (birthdays and anniversaries mostly).

I think (although I cannot say for certain) that it occurs as a result of the differing ways in which repeating events are handled by the Palm OS v. Groupwise. Groupwise, as near as I can tell (or at least for version 5.1) does not support repeating events. So, when you sync up with Groupwise, a repeating event on the Palm is scheduled as multiple events on Groupwise. For example, the single birthday set as a repeating yearly event under the Palm OS goes on to Groupwise as a unique event for each year in the calendar. This is okay the first time you sync with Groupwise. Sync a second time, and each individually annualy scheduled birthday on Groupwise goes back onto your Palm as a new event, since the conduit software (in my case, Intellisync) does not recognize that these events should be mapped back to the original repeating event you scheduled on the Palm in the first place. At least, that's what I THINK is happening...

But you asked for software to help rid the duplicate records. I found a couple you might try. One is called "Undupe" and the other is called "Copy Infringe". I've never used either, so proceed at your own risk. One other solution might be to investigate your "Syncwise Pro" software documentation to see if there is a setting which can be used to help alleviate your problem.

Hope this helps.

hparker,

I remember looking for FREE duplicate software 2 or 3 months ago. I don't remember where I found it, but there was one or two apps I found. They weren't ready for prime time yet. I think it will be a while. Try UnDupe, It's not free but close. It's only 6 or 7 dollars.
The thing with UnDupe is; it will only find EXACT matches. If there is something that's close that you think it should catch, it won't. It has to be EXACT.

I've been chasing these kind of problems for a while. In my case, we're using Lotus Notes. When I talked to Handspring about it, they said that Lotus Notes puts some hidden files on the Palm. They only suggest doing a Hard Reset.

I just found a program called T'Catalog. It's FREE and on it's web site, they talk a bit about it. They call it the LOTUS Problem. But it may be valid for other Groupware as well. Following is the text from their web page;

============================================
Fixing the Lotus Problem

T'Catalog is often recommended for fixing a hotsync problem caused by Lotus Notes. I have no personal experience of the details -- I've never used
Lotus Anything -- but I'm told this is how it works:

Install T'Catalog on your PDA.
Run it.
Choose "Options" from the menu; check "Allow Dangerous Actions". Close the options dialogue.
Go down the list of databases, and use the "Delete" menu option to delete anything that starts with the word "sync". (For example,
"syncaddressbook.db").

That's what I know.
============================================

It appears that the hidden files that Handspring was talking about is the "sync" files. So this may work for any Groupware. I don't know.

hparker, I think you said the trouble started when you changed your PC. When you first install software on your PC to sync with your calendar, (we'll call it Lotus Notes) it installs this "sync" file. I think Lotus calls it an ID file. When you change PC's and install the software on that new PC. It wants to put a new "ID" on your Palm.

I haven't had a chance to fully test this yet. (I'm still learning how to overcome this issue) But I think if you delete this "ID" off your Palm before synching with the new PC, the problem won't exist. If someone else gets a chance to test this before me, will you post the results here so we can all learn from it!

As long as I'm talking about programs that can help. I should mention PalmDOS. PalmDOS is an app that gives you a command prompt ( c:\> ). You can do some of things with PalmDOS as you can with DOS. Like dir, del, mem, etc... PalmDOS is also FREE!

P.S. - If you do use T'Catalog or PalmDOS, Please be very careful. It is posible to delete files that you need.

HTH
tgus

Thanks TMCRAE,
I am aware of undupe, but this is a school dist and funding for this typ of project is sparse. I will try Copy Infringe. HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back