Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Duplicated IPSI problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgoston

Programmer
Jul 13, 2004
US
I have a S8710 with duplicated IPSIs (Rel R013x.00.0.340.3). The IPSI in carrier B is always in standby no matter which server is active. If I busyout IPSI 01a the stack goes down. It never switches to IPSI 01b. I attempted to test IPSI 1b and I got an error message that said 'invalid carrier location for an ip-server interface. When I added the IPSI I did select the seconday IPSI option. Any ideas.

I had the same problem today when the cabinet reset but it did not fail over to IPSI B. Not sure of the problem. Anyojne else have this problem.

I am guess now but looking into the Avaya site for firmware upgrades, their is a upgrade from 12 to 22 on the IPSI boards, that states it resolves the "fail over problems". It may be worth taking a look at.

Hope this gets it working for you.

Mikey

All boards (including IPSIs) have the latest versions of firmware already.

What is hardware version of IPSI board? There was a hardware problem with vintage 11 and all boards with this vintage must be replaced with newer.

Guys,

Check the health of the IPSIs. The command is ' li ips'. The Health bits should show up as all '0's. If the standby IPSI by any 1 bit as '1', you will have to clear that error first.

Jigs

Can you provide a screen shot of your IPSI configuration? When you program the IPSI to port network 1 you have the option of defining the primary and secondary.

Secondly, how are you trying to test the failover? The system will remain on the primary IPSI unless told specifically to do so otherwise or if the primary IPSI is completely out of service. BTW, in case you are interchanging between your active and primary servers, that isn't going to have any effect on which IPSI is active.

To test mine I pulled IPSI 1a. The system did not fail-over. My health is showing 0.0.0.0 on 1a. On 1b it is showing 0.1.1.0 My configuration is listed below.

display ipserver-interface 1
IP SERVER INTERFACE (IPSI) ADMINISTRATION - PORT NETWORK 1

IP Control? y Socket Encryption? y
Ignore Connectivity in Server Arbitration? n Enable QoS? n

Primary IPSI
------------
Host: 192.168.5.7
DHCP ID: ipsi-A01a

Secondary IPSI
--------------
Host: 192.168.4.7
DHCP ID: ipsi-A01b

Command:

Command successfully completed
Command:

The ones in those locations indicate errors/problems with the Packet interface as well as Clock. A quick breakdown of that set of fields is as follows

Shows the state of health of the clock (C), packet interface (P), the
expansion archangel link (E), and the Tone Generator (G)
0=healthy, 1=unhealthy

Have you ever had these up on B? or has it always sat on A?

Have you tested the packet interface on B?

I should clarify that 0 means "healthy" and a 1 indicates "unhealthy" state. You will never interchange over to an ipsi that is less healthy so to speak then the one you are on.

Once you have cleared the issue's with the packet interface your duplication will likely fuinction as intended.

When I test packet interface 1b the system gives the message "Invalid location for IP Server Interface".

I just figured it out. You have to "change system-parameters duplication" and enable operation of IPSI duplication.

Point 1 'change sys dup' make sure ipsi dup is on
2 On the ch ips 'n' page make sure you have a primary and secondary ipsi configured. and make sur if your using cm3 or higher you have ip control set to yes.

If they are 2 different networks then make sure there is a route to it other than the default gateway.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back