Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Duplicated Controls & Off-Form, Why 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanlyn

Programmer
Sep 3, 2003
US
Hi,
In a page of a pageframe, something has created controls based on the grid there, and then duplicates them and adds a "2" their names. The page should only have a grid control. The grid control is there along with two sets of controls outside the grid. They are also positioned off-screen like top = -2055 and left = -500.

Are these controls needed? I discovered them after changing some controlsource names, then edited the grid to match them. Program errors about controls containing the old name. The controls are also NOT shown in the "Document View" window.

41_hfa0va.jpg

1. Any idea what would cause this?

2. Any idea on how to multi-select or deselect them as a group and delete them, instead of scrolling the property sheet, selecting a single control, then select the form and pressing delete... then repeat... I know I can make the page the active control, then "Ctrl A" to select them all, then delete. Any way to select and delete them from a selectable list?

Thanks,
Stanley

Rajesh Karunakaran said:
How do we check which answer has been chosen as suitable or which answers were given stars?
As the main discussion is closed now, I only want to follow up on this detail as a question about any thread.

1. There is no indication of which answer has been chosen as suitable, only indirectly by stars given. But as stars can be given by anyone and for any reason you don't have a specific inddicator of "the solution".

2. The answers given stars have the star at their first line in front of the poster. More than 1 star is indicated as an "exponent" of the star. But you never see who starred this post. So the reasoning about the why can only be found in the posts, if the person who gave stars says so. The mechanism itself is not dedicated to indicating the solution or not only available to the original poster who started a thread and asked a question. You only need to be a tek-tips member to give a post a star, no more, no less.

This is anonymous also in terms of not getting mail notifications about starred posts, you never know who starred your post unless the person explicitly tells it. So starring is also used by experts to second a recommendation or proposed solution or even to like or second an opinion. It's a multi-purpose tool and not tailored to indicate solutions only.

Chriss

I used to think of stars as a way of flagging a thread as one where one or more solutions have been proposed. So, if you are looking through a list of threads and see a question that interests you - perhaps because you would also like to know the answer to the question - the presence of a star might indicate that it is worth drilling down into the thread.

Conversely, if you see a question that you think you can answer yourself, the presence of a star might encourage you not to do that, on the basis that it has already been answered.

But that is a very hit-and-miss approach. In many cases, questions are answered but no stars are given. (I hope Stanley won't mind me using him as an example; he has started over 150 threads since joining the forum, but only given 12 stars.)

Conversely, stars are sometimes given to indicate that someone agrees with a point being made in a post, even though that point has no direct connection with the question. A good example of that was the situation a year ago when a certain forum member (since banned) was constantly posting disruptive and offensive messages. When I and others replied by asking him to stop doing that, those replies attracted numerous stars. But they gave no indication of whether a solution to the original problem had been offered.

To sum all this up, flagging a post with a star is often useful. But it is much more useful if the person who asked the original question comes back to the forum to tell us which post, if any, solved the original problem.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

Hi all,

OK, this thread was started to answer 2 questions.
1. What would cause controls being placed off-screen with negative top and left values?
2. How is the fastest way to delete them, since I knew that I did not create them intentionally?

Sorry for not putting any importance on stars as I come here for answers. I know some people do crosswords, some do problem solving, some are doing real work, and some are just hanging out since they have their systems running perfectly and have some time to kill.

I really appreciate your answers, thoughts, ideas, suggestions and discussions, whatever your reason for posting. Many times, I'm looking for a better way and hopefully someone sparks the idea. And, many times the suggestions I get is what I'm trying to get away from, (like hacking an .scx), by finding a better or a generic way. If hacking the .scx is the only way, then ok, I'll do it.

Many times, I get bits and pieces from multiple posts and end up creating a solution from the
collection, where a single post in itself did not create the solution. Instead, the whole discussion created the solution. So, how do I star that?

Can I give stars to more than one post of a thread? I'll know in a few minutes after I post this response.

For question #1, Rajesh was the first to say that VFP did not add them and was later seconded by others, so I will star his message. Hopefully, I can star other messages.

For question #2, Rajesh also suggested hacking the .scx. Even though it is a solution, I see it as a last resort solution since it involves "hacking" and not a generic solution. Selecting them one-by-one in the property window is another solution, and is really in-efficient as it would take far too long. I actually started deleting them that way and did about 20 or so and realized that I need to know if there was a more efficient way, which prompted the thread.

Going forward, I'll work on being a better citizen here, and for me, the value is in the discussions, as I don't have anyone to bounce ideas off of, except here.

Thank you all,
Stanley

Can I give stars to more than one post of a thread?

Yes. But you can only give one star per person per thread. If you star a given post, then later star another post in the same thread from the same person, the second one will replace the first.

I'll work on being a better citizen here,

You've go nothing to reproach yourself with, Stanley. Whether or not you routinely give stars, I notice that you nearly always acknowledge the replies you receive and indicate whether they have been useful. That's more than some forum members do.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back