Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

duplicate servers, mirroring

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmaccy

Technical User
Oct 4, 2003
US
i want to setup a mirrored (duplicate) server, where do i start? does 2003 SBS provide the tools?? anyone in south florida want the job??

What do you mean by 'mirrored servers'?

If you're talking about a server cluster, then SBS can't do it. Must have Advanced Server.

If you're talking about creating and maintaining a duplicate of your data, there are many options available.

FYI,
SBS has restricted capabilities...
Will not allow any other DC's
Cannot join a forest
Many other restriction

Also,
I have an office in Boca.
If you want help, let me know.

he wants to duplicate the servers for backup. he is located in margate. i'm at ray_maccy@excite.com

You need two disks, obviously the mirrored disk must be same or larger than the disk you want to mirror.

You must convert your disks to Dynamic Disks and you can then setup a mirror per partition. This is software mirroring and will slow the disk access down somewhat.

If you do not want to loose any performance and have somewhat of a budget, you may want to invest in a hardware RAID-1 card. They now exist in IDE (ATA-RAID-1) versions also and not only in SCSI, but it will require you to build an array, which will mean re-installation of the O/S.

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

You can also use FRS to replicate data to another server. Using DFS you can manager your shares, replicate data to a share on another server, so that if server A goes offline clients are pointed to server B.

ph

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back