Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Duplicate PRI Signal to 2 different systems for failover

Status
Not open for further replies.

chame1eon

Technical User
Jul 28, 2015
US
Hi,

I'm trying to set up a failover for our main IP500 System. If the system goes down in the middle of the night it would be best if we could failover to the second system without someone spending 1/2 hour driving to the office to plug the PRI into the second system. We don't have a second PRI and it won't be in the budget any time soon.

Would it be possible to use a Y-jack or a simple, inexpensive switch to duplicate the signal to both systems so that we could remotely enable the trunk on the back up system? Would the switch have to be aware of the ESF/D8SZ framing?

There are some PRI splitters on the market, Liberator S is one. Not so cheap.

If you want to go full Theodore Rimspoke style, well, I guess that could work too.
A quad-pol mechanical switch activated by a solenoid, controlled by the relay on the backup system. (Legal issues...maybe. Get a waiver first)

Kind regards

Gunnar
_______
B.U.B.F

2cnvimggcac8ua2fg.jpg

Monty, last one looks like it is for domestic silly-ISDN, those with fixed DDI to the pairs. (No idea what it's called in UK)

That would just splitt the pairs, Tx going to Site A and Rx on Site B, if that would even work...ha ha

Kind regards

Gunnar
_______
B.U.B.F

2cnvimggcac8ua2fg.jpg

I wonder if it would be easier to just make a cable. Probably easier than that solenoids solution anyway..

Then you have to go out there. Wasen't the point not to waste 30 min?

If you simultanously hook up two PRI cards to the same line, you will have problems.

Kind regards

Gunnar
_______
B.U.B.F

2cnvimggcac8ua2fg.jpg

Well I thought I could disable the trunk in the failover system. We can remotely disable the primary then enable the secondary if we need to failover in 5 minutes.

I don't see why that wouldn't work. Maybe I'm oversimplifying it.

I would use a PATTON PRI to SIP and create two SIP trunks, one to each site. In the PATTON you can create a config where all calls are presented to site A and when site A fails it will route all calls to site B, once site A comes back alive it will route calls back to Site A.
Both sites can dial out over the same PRI line at any given time.

Our trunk providers also offer a failback trunk to another site but it is costly and the backup trunk can only be used if the main trunk fails.
The monthly fee is hughe, the PATTON option is not for free either but it earns back within seven months.
Also SIP Providers can deliver the same service for a lower price but the earn back time in that case will be one year.

So in the long run our solution is cheaper and those which we installed have the PATTON in the same secured datacenter as their Terminal Servers.

You can't just disable the trunk, it needs to synchronise clocking with a single device, evens disabling it on the second system will not stop it synching and it'll just break it on both systems, you need a smart device not a bodging cable :)

Why don't you just test how quick it fries the cards?
I have lot's of PRI cards on my desk, used, but you can get them for normal price, special deal[bigsmile]

Kind regards

Gunnar
_______
B.U.B.F

2cnvimggcac8ua2fg.jpg

You can't just disable the trunk, it needs to synchronise clocking with a single device, evens disabling it on the second system will not stop it synching and it'll just break it on both systems, you need a smart device not a bodging cable smile.

That makes sense. I guess they will have to wait for us to plug in the PRI.

Thanks. Obviously no one here has a telecommunications background at all.

Nope, we are all retired chippendales [shadeshappy]

Kind regards

Gunnar
_______
B.U.B.F

2cnvimggcac8ua2fg.jpg

If I could blacklist a member here I just found a candidate....
Go somewhere else please.

Have I missed some deleted threads? Or has the OP just activated Idiot mode for no apparent reason? :)

>Thanks. Obviously no one here has a telecommunications background at all.

My charitable side reads this as
Obviously no one at this physical site has a telecommunications background at all.

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

>Thanks. Obviously no one here has a telecommunications background at all.

My charitable side reads this as
Obviously no one at this physical site has a telecommunications background at all.

I meant here where I am physically. I didn't know PRI cards sent clock (signals? pulses?) and neither did anyone in this building. I'm glad you told me that.

>I meant here where I am physically

Glad that's cleared up!

Yes, All ISDN typre protcols carry each call in a multplexed time slot (i.e 1 of 30 slots carries 64K). If one end loses synchronisatiion, time slots don't line up and the whole thing breaks quickly!

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back