Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Duplicate objects to another layer 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

nefaste

Programmer
Nov 2, 2005
FR
Lately, I've often need to duplicate some objects from a layer to another. What's the best way to do it ?

Let's say I want to copy from layer A to layer B.

1 - Copy, select layer B, paste : the objects appear at a random place, not on top of the original ones...

2 - Copy, paste to front, select layer B, object->move to selected layer : this used to work fine, but sometimes, it moves the entire layer A as a sublayer of layer B. Can't figure out why this happens...
I this case I had to expand layer A in the layers palette, and drag the selected objects to layer B, which can be troublesome when layer A has lots of objects... Plus, if I move just one object and layer B is empty, Illustrator simply replaces layer B by my object ! The layer is destroyed... (both layer A and B are sublayers of a same layer).

Is there a way to do a "paste to front in another layer" directly ? Is there an explanation for the random behaviour of "object->move to selected layer" ? Is there a better way to duplicate objects ?

Thanks in advance if you can help...

If you create a new layerf irst, you can clcik the triangle next to an older layer to show that object in the Layers window. If you click on it in the Layers window, you can then Option/Click on it (Mac) and drag it to the new layer. It will retain position.

I don't know the key combo for the Windows version.

Using OSX 10.3.8 on a G4

Thanks for your replies jm and itchy but I'm not sure it solves my problem...

I tried the Alt-Click and drag but it works only for one object at the time. And I have to find it in the layers palette. Let's say I select 15 objects in a layer that contains hundreds of objects. There must be a quick way to copy them...

Ne:

You can ctrl-click on several objects and then drag them over to the new layer (don't press alt until you're ready to drop them), or you can select a solid range of objects by clicking on the first, shift-clicking on the last, then dragging.

HTH

Bert

You also might try clicking the little triangle in the Layers window and selecting Layers Pallette Options from the menu.

Make sure that you select a size you like and that you check appropriate boxes under Thumbnails.

Using OSX 10.3.8 on a G4

itchy: Thanks, that's what I tried when reading your first post. I think my Alt key doesn't function well... (my left Ctrl is already dead, I use too much the Ctrl-Alt-Delete combo !) Anyway, now I managed to Alt-drag the way you describe it.

jm: Thanks, I didn't know I could change thumbnails size.

But I was looking for a method that doesn't take longer when I have more objects to copy... I think I'll stick to the basic copy/paste, and while the objects are still selected move them to the right place...

Or maybe, is there a way to hilight in the layers palette all the objects currently selected (other than manually Ctrl click on each one of them) ?

But I was looking for a method that doesn't take longer when I have more objects to copy... I think I'll stick to the basic copy/paste, and while the objects are still selected move them to the right place..."

Here's the best solution and the important point that you're missing:

Copy from Layer A. Deselect the object that you're copying. Go to Layer B and Paste in front. If you do not deselect the object on layer A, it will paste right back into layer A, even if you are on layer B. Now you will have the object or objects precisely in the same position but on a different layer.

StoneWarrior68: Thanks, that's what I was missing ! I knew there *should* be a simple way to do the job...
The solution is so simple I feel a bit stupid... I owe you a beer :)

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back