Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

duplicate name on the network 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

outonalimb

Technical User
Oct 7, 2003
GB
Yesterday evening, the power to our server went off without warning. There was no UPS on the machine so it wasn't gracefully shut down!

When the power came back on, the server started okay but we are now getting 'duplicate name on the network' errors. The machine is our Exchange server so we need to get it working again ASAP!

The following error is recorded in the event log:

A duplicate name has been detected on the TCP network. The IP address of the machine that sent the message is in the data. Use nbtstat -n in a command window to see which name is in the Conflict state.

There aren't any other computers on the network with the same name!

Any ideas?

If Windows 2000 - lastest service pack has a specific fix

Else Follow these steps:
Use Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe) to view the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters

Modify the following registry value, or add the value if it does not exist:
Value name: NoNameReleaseOnDemand
Value type: REG_DWORD-Boolean
Value data: 0, 1 (False, True)
Default: 0 (False)
Recommendation: 1
Description: This parameter determines whether the computer releases its NetBIOS name when it receives a name-release request from the network. It was added to permit the administrator to protect the computer against malicious name-release attacks.

My Source MS00-047: NetBIOS Vulnerability May Cause Duplicate Name on the Network Conflicts

Guy Thomas

Scripting Ezine

Thanks Guy.

Your post has solved the problem and our Exchange server is back up and running again.

Once again, many thanks. Tek Tips once again saves the day!

'duplicate name exist'
when i am logging to win2000 pro mechine it is giving the message.but there is no duplicate name in the workgroup or network and i can access the other computers in the workgroup.It is happening with all the win200 pro and XP home edition PCs in my workgroup.once I disable or remove the TCP/IP and using other protocol (netbeui)it is not saying the nessage.

UPDATE to problem I posted in March:

The problem came back again recently and was immediately fixed by removing the server from the domain and adding it back again. This was actual advice from Microsoft.

The server was running Exchange 5.5. Removing it from the domain and readding it didn't cause any major issues.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back