Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Duplicate entries in Drill-->Down>> menu ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

VBDemiGod

Programmer
Oct 28, 2003
US
Hey all,
I am new at MSTR and have been tasked with attempting to fix a problem with the choices provided when a user attempts to drill down from a report. The problem is as such:

we have a report that lists 'carriers'. when you right click to drill down on carrier, you are provided several choices,
>Member
>Group
>Account
>Account
>Group
>Member

I need to determine why each item has a duplicate entry in the drill context menu. I believe the problem corresponds to the hierarchy that has been established, but only using MSTR for a few days, this is nothing more than a guess.
The hierarchy branch for these items is noticibly different than the rest of the branches in that,
>carrier points to Carrier_Key which points to Account which points to Account_key, etc.. None of the other branches have references to their respective keys. Am I on the right path? What is the Hierarchy used for, meaning if i make a change to it for the sake of fixing this report, what effect could it have on the rest of my objects, reports, filters, etc.. and If I am completely wrong, what could be my problem potentially?? Thanks in advance, I appreciate it

Ray H.
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrious

Are the choices that you mention attributes or Hierarchies?
I would start by looking at the drill path of the report to make sure that the same hierarchy or attribute is not entered twice.

OV

OV,

I believe they are attributes, although like I said, i am very new to this. It appears to me that there has been no customization to the drill map (default drill map maybe?).

Here is a link to illustrate what I am referring to:

Thanks in advance for all the help to all.

Ray H

Yes they are attributes, and the problem most likely is related to the hierarchy in that picture. I seems like you may have some compound keys.
I am not sure that you can do this, but can you remove Carrier Key, Account Key and Group Key from the hierarchy?
If you can, update schema and see what happens.

I asked around and I dont think I can 'Remove' the items. Is there a way to hide them from the drill logic?

Thanks,
Ray

I figured this one out on my own,

within my hierarchy there is a checkbox indicating 'Use as a drill hierarchy' that was checked. removing this check seemed to remove my issue. I can now assume that, MSTR picks up its own hierarchies from the relational model of the db and it was also adding my customized hierarchy on top of it. Can anyone validate or repudiate this assumption???

VBDemiGod,

I think you are right in your assumptions. Check out tech not TN5700-72X-0894 for an explanation. It looks like it's been logged as an ehancement request for it work the way you want it to work.

where do i locate this tech note, is it on microstrategy's site or here somewhere. I did a search on both sites and was not able to locate anything. Thanks in advance.

Ray

Actually,

I figured this one out too. when i would search (in the kb logged in), it would not find this document by just entering the tn number. but if i entered #filename tn5700* in the search box it came right up! Thanks to all who have commented and helped out. i appreciate it. this is a great forum.

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back