Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

duplicate emails 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwokkman

IS-IT--Management
Feb 2, 2004
US
One of my user is telling me that a couple of people are receiving dupliate emails from her. Those people are not receiving duplicate email from others, only from her. I checked for virus on the local pc. The email server is exchange 2003.

Anyone seems this problem before.

Kwok

You may want to check into this but I have had the same problem. Do these people get duplicate emails when she sends an email to more then one of them at the company.

i.e She sends an email to PersonA@company.com and also sends (TO/CC/BCC) it to: PersonB@company.com. Thus PersonA and PersonB receive 2 emails each.

Or does it occur even if she sends it to just one of them at a time. How many duplicates do they receive?

- FateFirst

Fatefirst i am currently investagting the same problem as you . My user if sending to only one recipent , the email goes fine. If it sent to multiple recipent the email goes multiple times, generally it sends the ammount of times = to the number of recipents. I have searched Microsoft for a answer and have come up blank. Have you resolved this.

The user is using Outlook 2003 and sending thru the ISP mail server.

Thanks in advance

Has a solution been found to this problem as yet? I am experiencing the same problem.

Cheers

Relisys

I have not so much found the solution to this but more found the reason behind it.

Not a very technically worded answer but its still something and I may not explain it very well, sorry!

Some mail servers run checks on the domain the email is being sent to. So if you have personA@company1.com and personB@company1.com and personZ@company2.com. It locates the 2 different domains and sends the mail off to the appropriate server for company1.com & company2.com. The receiving server then handles relaying it to the specified people.

However, I have also found that some mail servers dont run this check so to speak and cycle through the email addresses and find personA@company1.com and sends the mail to the server, moves onto personB@company1.com sends the mail to this server and then personZ@company2.com and so on.

The receiving server then takes this mail, for PersonA, reads it and sees its going to: personA and moves that on. Also sees is going to PersonB and moves that on and ignores PersonZ. Then it gets the other mail through that was for PersonB. It moves this mail on to that person, reads PersonA and moves that on and ignores PersonZ. So as a result Person A & B both received the same email....twice!

Something to about this is on the microsoft website somewhere but its a damn nuiscance to find...i will try to locate the URL again.

- FateFirst

Anyone had any luck , this looks like it is still a issue. A client of mine experienced it last night in a bad way

Any advice appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back