Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Duplicate Emails...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCHelpDesk

IS-IT--Management
Mar 9, 2009
US
I have some users that are running Outlook 2007 that are having a problem when we add a additional mailbox to their setup (Tools-Account Settings-Change-More Settings-Add). The additional mailbox is fine with no problems. But what happens is their main mailbox starts receiving duplicate emails. This only happens with users that keep their mail in a PST instead of the server mailbox. Normally it is an email that is sent to them because they are a member of an email group (any group not a certain one). When they start receiving duplicate emails they will receive 100's-1,000's if they don't catch it. Once this happens the only way to stop it is to close Outlook, log into OWA and delete the email, then open Outlook again (and clean up all the duplicates). This has been an on going problem here for months with some users.

I have tried the following:
1. Delete all rules being processed.
2. Delete and recreate Outlook Profile.
3. Delete and recreate Windows Network Profile.

The only thing that I have found that fixes this is removing the additional mailbox or moving their default email location to the server instead of a PST.

Thanks for any help that anyone can provide. I really need to get this fixed.

mm bizarre. Shouldnt be doing this- i have multiple accounts all linked in Outlook with PST running.

Ok couple of things off the top of my head-
On Exchnange against their profile is there any delivery forwarding set up etc?

In Outlook , Tools Account Settings, check the mailboxes- where is the mail delevered to? (It will state this at the bottom).

Have you stripped away the PST and see what happens?

Thanks for your reply Wayne.

No delivery forwarding setup for anyone.
The people that have this problems have the delivery set to their PST.

No one that keeps their mail on the server has this issue so removing the PST does stop this from happening. Also once I remove the additional mailbox and restart Outlook the problem goes away.

So emails come in and get archived immediately?
Maybe this is causing the server to think the email hasnt been delivered yet. Maybe it needs some sort of timeout?

And why do this anyway? This is a sure fire way to lose emails, but Im sure you know the risks....

No robmazco, emails are not archived immediately. In Outlook you have the option to setup a PST to house your emails localy on your hard drive instead of keeping them on the server (this allows users to not have to worry about any kind of mailbox size limits).

PST = Archive, effectively the same thing.

Or are you talking about Cached mode?

Im still guessing that Outlook doesnt see the emails delivered as they go right to the pst(archive).

Are you using the auto-archive function? Im not sure I know of any other way to archive emails,except for Rules.

robmazco you are not helping here. In Outlook you can set your delivery destination for a local PST instead of your Mailbox on the Exchange server. I know it has been this way since Outlook 97, and I am sorry that you have not heard of it. But this is what we are doing and it is not archiving.

FYI= PST is a Personal File Folder you can use it to be the location for your emails or archive your old emails to.

Can someone please help me with this issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back