Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Duplicate Clients in the Console 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vargar

MIS
Apr 16, 2003
US
I have inherited a SAV 8.0 server. I have forwarded all the clients from a NAVCE 7.5 server. My biggest peeve is that I keep getting multiple client entries in the console from machines that logon remotely or move around the company and get new IP addresses. I end up having an entry for the same machine on each IP address.

Does anyone know a way to automatically clean these up (other then wait 30 days) or configure the console or client input these correctly?

I have toyed with the idea of creating a group with the main offenders.

Thanks for any help.

Have you installed any program updates?

Members of Tek-Tips provide answers to questions based on the information given. For the best answers, post detailed descriptions of the issue. Use the search features of the site to see if your issue was already addressed in another thread.

Not sure I understand. Updates to the clients?

I too run Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition 8.x here in my office. I too have experienced the same problem. There are no updates for this problem as of now. You would think that Symantec would have put SOMETHING in the software to set some sort of leases on IP addresses so you don't end up with a console FULL of duplicate clients. I have 30 laptop users, multiply that by 3-4 client entries for each one (everytime a user dials in and gets assigned a new IP address Symantec adds it to the list of A/V clients as if it's a brand new machine), and my console is full of duplicate client entries. ARGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"There are no updates for this problem as of now. "

Have you spoken to them?

I am curious to hear more.

Might be something that needs to be reported by many professionals to egg them into doing something about it.

Members of Tek-Tips provide answers to questions based on the information given. For the best answers, post detailed descriptions of the issue. Use the search features of the site to see if your issue was already addressed in another thread.

Thanks for the info. I think I will call Symantec. I discovered our Gold number when I was working on a different issue.

I'll post anything I find out.

Here you go, straight from Symantec's tech support:

"There are two options. You could set the timeout interval to something
other than the default 30 days. This would result in some clients
disappearing from Symantec System Center (SSC) if they do not log in
before the client is set to be removed from SSC. This is not of much
consequence however, because they should reappear once they log in and
check in with the SAVCE Parent Server again.

The other option would be to configure your network to use static IP
addresses. this way, the clients would only use the same IP address
whenever they log in and there should only be one entry in SSC for the
SAVCE Client.

Please refer to the following document:

Title: 'How to adjust the time-out value for automatically deleting
clients from the Symantec System Center Console'
Document ID: 2000070511575548
> Web URL:

Excellent.
Thank you for posting the resolution, and taking the time to share it with us. Apparently it IS quite a common aggravation.

Gave you a star.....have a great day!

Kimber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back