Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Duplicate all latest Full Backups to new tapes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi!

We run Veritas Netbackup Datacenter with 1 master server and 2 media servers.

I need to archive a full backup of all clients occationaly and would like to automate the process (without using Vault extension) but i do not know how to.

What i would like is:
1) Take all clients in all policys and duplicate the latest full backups into new tapes.
2) The new tapes should be in moved to a special tape pool wich i created or marked in some other way for easy exit from the robot library.

Please help if you have ANY suggestion at all i would be glad as i can not seem to move forward. If you have any script wich does this could i please look at it to get some ideas at least?

My very best regards,
Kent

Hi!

I think that Veritas has done what you need.
Look in \netbackup\...\goodies
Heres a dublication script that you might find usefull.

/Ulf

Hi,

this is my first reply to a forum. Hope you find this of use. Below is what I use to duplicate tapes. Some site spicific stuff has been ommited. This script has been working and I have not updated it since 3.2GA, I am currently running 4.5.

#!/bin/ksh
SCRIPT_DIR=/scripts/nbu
LOG_DIR="/tmp"
DATE=`date +%m.%d.%y`

###
# Move log files out of the way
###

mv $LOG_DIR/std_missed $LOG_DIR/std_missed.$DATE 2> /dev/null
###
# Make sure we have enough scratch tapes in the silo
###

rm ${LOG_DIR}/std_image.log > /dev/null 2>&1
TOT_SCRATCH=`vmquery -b -pn scratch | tail +4 | wc -l`

##
# How many tapes do we need for the Dup
bpduplicate -v -dstunit L11000 -st FULL -hoursago 100 -PD > ${LOG_DIR}/std_image.log
TAPES_NEEDED=`awk '{ for ( i = 7; i <=NF; i++ ) print $i }' ${LOG_DIR}/std_image.log | sort | uniq | wc -l`
##
# start Dupication if we have 1/4 as many tapes as used
let TAPES_NEEDED=TAPES_NEEDED/4. Best guess
if [ $TAPES_NEEDED -gt TOT_SCRATCH ]
then
echo &quot;***** WARNING ************&quot; > ${LOG_DIR}/std_duperr$DATE.log
echo &quot;Not enough scratch tapes to do duplication&quot; >> ${LOG_DIR}/std_duperr$DATE.log
echo &quot;Number of tapes required $TAPES_NEEDED is less than scratch avaible $TOT_SCRATCH&quot; >> ${LOG_DIR}/std_duperr$DATE.log
echo &quot;Duplication not done on `date +%D`&quot; >> ${LOG_DIR}/std_duperr$DATE.log
echo &quot;****************************\n&quot; >> ${LOG_DIR}/std_duperr$DATE.log
cat ${LOG_DIR}/std_duperr$DATE.log | mailx -s &quot;NetBackup Dupliction Error&quot; root
else
START_TIME=&quot;Started `date`&quot;
bpduplicate -v -dstunit L11000 -st FULL -ct Standard -hoursago 100 -L $LOG_DIR/actual_std_$DATE.log -dp NB_duplicates > $LOG_DIR/std_duperr$DATE.log 2>&1
END_TIME=&quot;Finished `date`&quot;
echo &quot;$START_TIME\n$END_TIME&quot; |mailx -s &quot;Netbackup Duplication for Unix completed&quot; root
fi

###
# Find out if any dups went bad and Notify someone
###

awk '{if ($4 ~ /Duplicate/ && $9 ~ /failed,/) print $8}' actual_std_$DATE.log > $LOG_DIR/std_missed
if [ -s $LOG_DIR/std_missed ]
then
cat $LOG_DIR/std_missed | mailx -s &quot;No failed Unix Duplications&quot; root
else
cat $LOG_DIR/std_missed | mailx -s &quot;These Unix Backup IDs failed&quot; root
fi

I run two seperate threads one for my NT and one for my UNIX boxes

how do i automatic the duplication of tapes on windows platform ?
thanks

You can script this out using the bpduplicate command. Locate this command in the SAG or the \NetBackup\bin subdir.

Once you have written the script, you can place it in a batch file that will force it to execute after the job has completed.

The file name will be:

bpend_notify.bat

The file must be created in:

<install_path>\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin.

If NBU sees this file in its bin subdir , it will execute the file. Create the file and place your script inside of it.

Also-

You can create:

bpstart_notify.bat

Create this in the same subdir. This batch file executes before a job starts. This works great for taking databases down to perform a flat file backup!

how does the command look like if i want to append every day's backup to 5 tapes that is in another pool ?

Is it possible to do what? I do not understand what you are asking. Please explain.

i have a daily backup job that writes to 3 tapes everyday, is it possible to duplicate these 3 tapes to another 3 tapes on that is in a differnet volume pool?
if yes, how to do it?
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back