Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

** Duplicate a DLT-tape **

Status
Not open for further replies.

HLui

Technical User
Oct 21, 2002
DE
Hi !

Maybe this is a easy thing, but i need help !

I have a Library with two DLT-Devices.
I have a standalone DLT-Device with any tapes, too.

Now i want copy the / a tape(s) from this standalone device to another tape, to hold the data on tape longer than 15 years.

The destination ( copied ) tape must absolutely the same tape as the source tape, because i must use the catalog information on the backup server with standalone device.

Can i use netbackup DC 4.5 to copy this tapes in the library ?

Thanks
and
greets

Holger L.
P.S.: Sorry about my school-english, its not good !

Yes, you can do this, but I'd be surprised that a tape can hold data for 15 years without some degradation.

Quantum specs out it's tapes at one million passes with a negligible impact on soft error rates and a 30-year archival life. However, their warranty is limited to tape replacement only, not costs of Data loss...Caveat Emptor!

Thanks for your reply !

I know that Quantum benefits guaranteed the 30-year archival life, but who knows if i can read the data on tape in 10 years really. I must archive the tapes for 15 Years, and i wouldn´t loose some of them !

BUT !!
How can i copy the tapes at teh easiest way ??

Can somebody help ?

Thanks
Holger

bpduplicate will copy one netbackup DLT to another. It should be available via the backup management GUI (at least NBU 3.2/Unix).

There are several services which will duplicate DLTs. I don't know how much they will charge..... I couldn't find any inexpensive DLT duplicators on the market.

HTH

dglosser could you elaborate on how to make a duplicate using the backup management GUI for Unix please?

Thanks!

We no longer use Unix for NBU administration so what I'm about to suggest may or may not apply in your situation. On the NetBackup Adminstration window, click on Images, Duplicate, and select the appropriate fields to accomplish the duplication. If you need further information, let us know.

You can also read the documentation for bpduplicate to explicitly duplicate the data you want. Vault uses bpduplicate but spawns several processes.

Just an FYI on differences between UNIX and Windows versions - there are almost none. For those who are using Unix (version 4.5) you should see the same as the windows GUI. If not, you can always load the client GUI on your desktop or laptop and connect to the unix server with no differences in look or feel.

From the GUI - Just click on help and type in bpduplicate ...
install_path\NetBackup\bin\admincmd\bpduplicate -npc new_primary_copy -backupid backup_id [-local] [-client name]
install_path\NetBackup\bin\admincmd\bpduplicate [-number_copies number] [-dstunit destination_storage_unit_label[,copy2,...,copyn] [-dp destination_pool_name[,copy2,...,copyn] [-p | -pb | -PD | -PM] [-Bidfile file_name] [-v] [-local] [-client name] [-st sched_type] [-sl sched_label] [-L output_file [-en]] [-shost source_host] [-policy name] [-s date] [-e date] [-pt policy_type] [-hoursago hours] [[-cn copy_number] | [-primary]][-M master_server] [-altreadhost hostname] [-backupid backup_id] [-id media_id] [-rl retention_level[,
rl-copy2,...,rl-copyn]] [-fail_on_error 0|1[,...,0|1]] [-mpx] [-set_primary copy_index]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back