Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Duplicat databases on two computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

putttn

Technical User
Sep 27, 2007
US
I'd like to be able to copy the database of contacts (approx 30,000) from one computer to another on a daily basis. I am working on cleaning up our agents task list and calendar of calls that have not been completed and find that I can work at home evenings and weekends.
I'd like to be able to bring my laptop to work and copy the database before I leave for home, then be able to check for "past dates" and work on cleaning them up. Is this possible without a long download before I leave for home from work.
I have a remote setup but find it very slow when working in ACT. We use Jim Durkins, Task List Plus, Contact List Plus and Calendar View and this tends to slow things down a bit but gives us a nice view of what's on the Contact Detail screen when in Task List Plus and Calendar View.

You need to set up synchronisation... the methods to do this will depend on the version of ACT! that you're running

Regards,
Mike Lazarus
ACT! Evangelist
GL Computing, Aust

Thanks Mike. We are ACT 2006 for Workgroups, version 8.0.2.82. How does a synchronization work.

How long does a synchronization take compared to a import?
We imported a database to another computer and it took a full day. We've started a synchronization and it has been running for a couple of hours. That normal?

How long both take depends on the size of the database and the system it's running on.

What task are you doing in Sync? Creating an RDB? How many contacts and what hardware?

Regards,
Mike Lazarus
ACT! Evangelist
GL Computing, Aust

Yes, RDB. 30,000. Intel Xeon 2.80ghz, 2.0gb ram

For 30K, I would normally go with 4GB... assuming you're doing other stuff on the server.

Also hard drive speed is very important. I recommend 7200rpm as a minimum, 10K or 15K much better

For the RDB, if you're also sync'ing attachments, these can extend the time significantly.

Regards,
Mike Lazarus
ACT! Evangelist
GL Computing, Aust

It sounds like we're trying to pull a big load with a Mini Cooper!

We tried to do the synchronization and got one error msg, "The fileC:\Documents and Settings\Owner.BillSutherland\Desktop\ACT! Serenitydb8.zip is not the correct type for this operation.

We tried a remote synchronization and got error msg, "failed to restore remote database. zip entry manifest is invalid."

So far not doing the right thing it looks like.

Incorrect Zip File for this Operation.
Whe I try to "restore as" my almost 3 GB zip file into ACT 2006 Premium for Workgroups, I get the same message error that this is not a correct type of .zip file. I have tried to unzip with Winzip, but there is not a named database .pad file, nor can I find an .adf file to rebuild the .pad file. I am stuck in the past. Any suggestions?

They pop up in a box on the blank ACT! screen.

When we were trying to restore the database, right after we hit "restore"

Over the weekend we've maxed out our ACT! server and at 74gb plus 7200 rpm we need to go bigger and faster. Any suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back