Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dumping array contents into excel ... need speed boost 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PulsaMatt

IS-IT--Management
Apr 25, 2002
US
I'm hoping someone might have an idea to help me speed up this code a little bit. To give you an idea of the size of the data I have to work with ... its approx 4600 rows and approx 30 columns. With my current code it takes approx 10-15 minutes to process the file. I have to dump the data into Excel because the higher-ups want the report with all kinds of Excel subtotalling and they then want it emailed to them so they have it first thing in the morning when they get in.

My vbs file queries our AS400/iSeries for the data and then dumps it into an array (this seems to run fast). Then to get the data into Excel I loop through the array horizontally and vertically using the code below. Here is the loop code:

Code:
numCols = Ubound(myArray,1)
numRows = Ubound(myArray,2)

For rowCounter = 0 to numRows
	For colCounter = 0 to numCols
		objXLbook.WorkSheets(1).Cells(rowCounter + 1, colCounter + 1).value = trim(myArray(colCounter, rowCounter))
	Next
Next

Anyone know of a faster way to get the data into the spreadsheet? Thanks in advance,

Matt Laski
Network Administrator
Pulsafeeder SPO

Have a look to the CopyFromRecordset method of the Excel.Range object.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

That speeds things up quite a bit! Under 20 seconds now, thanks!

Matt Laski
Web & Systems Support
Pulsafeeder Inc.

Great call PHV. I've found similar excellent results using CopyFromRecordset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back