Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DUMPING 2000 LOG

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanB

Programmer
Jul 19, 2001
US
Hello all I have a database that is growing very large from the log file. I know the syntax for 7.0 does anyone know how in SQL 2000 to do this and should I schedule this once a week. The DB grew from 500meg to 5 gig

Are you backing up your database? You can use the tools in Enterprise Manager to create a maintenance plan, including backups. You can also set an option on the database to automatically shrink. You'll need to shrink the log and file after backing up the database.

Check out the FAQ posted by FOXDEV - FAQ183-345 - to find more information about shrinking the log and the log file. You can also read the following articles.

Shrinking Active Log Files—Revisited

Quickly Shrinking the Transaction Log

Shrinking the Transaction Log

DBCC SHRINKFILE
Terry L. Broadbent
faq183-874 contains some tips and ideas for posting questions in these forums. Please review it and comment if you have time.
NOTE: Reference to the FAQ is part of my signature and is not directed at any individual.

Is there a way to dump it now, it is causing a big issue and I want to dump the log if possible? Thanks Troad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back