Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dump and Tar File Sizes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLG

MIS
Dec 19, 2001
US
I'm using a combination of dump and tar (dump for filesystems and tar for directories) to backup my Linux systems. Some of my dump and tar files are very large (+100gb) and I'm wondering what is the limit of tar and dump files? I don't have the space to do a test restore without wiping out the production filesystem and restoring to it.
Thanks in advance!

I've googled tar file sizes and I see conflicting information. I've found some posts say less than 2gb, others say 8gb max, while others say unlimited. I can't find anything on dump file sizes.

The tar format is just a sequential concatenation of files and as such has no 'limit' per se. The only thing limiting the size of a tar archive would be the file system it is created on. I've done backups of my file server with more than 200GB onto DLTs & some 50GB to 100GB of temporary backups on a PC with ext3.

--== Anything can go wrong. It's just a matter of how far wrong it will go till people think its right. ==--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back