Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dumb workstations connections/networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramrof

Programmer
Mar 7, 2004
IL
how can i build a network of bumb terminals all connected to a win xp server i want all dumb terminals to be able to connect to the internetat same time and fast too.also my terminals will have floppys for individual users,can any help please

You can't.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I do not think you can get enough data on a floppy to run them that will work well enough with a Graphical User Interface or GUI. I have heard of people making a PC with a CDROM with a boot only version of Lindows that lets you access basic OS functions like data processing or internet browsing. This is hard to do without a larger amount of storage space than a floppy. I have heard of companies like Citrix that do LIGHT server based terminal systems, but it takes more network bandwidth and a good network to support them.

One option could be loading the OS on an IDE interface Flash Drive. XP may not work well due to how much room it takes up to just load it on to storage and install.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

There is no native facility in Windows XP to permit this as a solution.

Citrix Metaframe has been mentioned, it should also be noted that there are embedded versions of XP as well as XP CE that are being used by OEMs in thin client implementations:
But a floppy based terminal to standard XP is not possible.

Actually, I don't see why a terminal equipped with an RDP client can't connect to a Windows XP Professional PC. It's only RDP, after all - exactly the same as the server versions of Windows use.

Of course, it would only be one terminal. To connect a network of terminals, you need Windows Terminal Server. This could be NT4TSE, Windows 2000 or Windows 2003.

You would need any of the above if you wanted to use Citrix MetaFrame in any case - and the terminal would have to have an ICA client as well as an RDP client.

There is a solution to this - and you may well find it in the Windows 2000/2003 forums, or the Citrix forum48

Hope this helps

I'm assuming that the client is not going to be loaded from the floppy disk - that the floppy disk is just a client drive for loading/saving data. In this case, you need Windows 2003 server at a bare minimum.

I assume also that what you meant when you said Windows XP - is not the Desktop O/S, but the server equivalent.

There would be no problems in sharing a properly designed fast internet access infrastructure with this setup.

What are the thin client terminals (make and model)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back