Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dumb question but i'd rather safe than sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.

samosa

Technical User
Jul 15, 2005
IT
my boss just asked me to delve into an uncharted territory by asking me design a one-page web site that has three departments.
Dept1 on the left of the page more like a table that will contain links to the other pages within that table, dept2 at the right of the page and dept3 on the bottm.(all same as dept1)
At the top of the page is a disclaimer.
My question is how do you design a disclaimer to be at the top of the page?
thanks in advance

like this
<html>
<body>
<table border=1>
<tr><td valgin=top colspan=2>
<table><tr><td>disclaimer</td></tr></table>
</td></tr>
<tr><td>
<table align=left><tr><td width=150>link dept1</td></tr></table>
</td>
<td>
<table align=right><tr><td width=150>link dept2</td></tr></table>
</td></tr>
<tr><td colspan=2>
<table align=bottom><tr><td>link dept3</td></tr></table>
</td></tr>
</table>
</body>
</html>
admin@onpntwebdesigns.com

Try:
<table rows=2 border=1 width=100%>
<TR>
<TD colspan=2>Disclaimer</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>
<table border=1 width=100%>
<tr>
<td>Department 1 stuff</td>
</tr>
</table>
</td>
<td>
<tr>
<td>Department 2 stuff</td>
</tr>
</table>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td colspan=2>
<tr>
<td>Department 3 stuff</td>
</tr>
</table>
</td>
</tr>
</table>

Hope that Helps...
mwa

Oops.. Onpnt beat me to it... Later... mwa

heh heh, my turn to give it a whirl, just to please the CSS purists, here's one without inner tables.
Code:
<div style=&quot;height:100%;width:98%;margin:5px;text-align:center;&quot;>
	<div style=&quot;height:8%;width:98%;border:1px dotted #668866;margin:5px;&quot;>
		Disclaimer :  Look ma, no inner tables :P
	</div>
	<table style=&quot;height:60%;width:48%;border:1px solid #000000;float:left;margin:5px;&quot;>
		<tr>
			<td>
				Left Links Here
			</td>
		</tr>
	</table>
	<table style=&quot;height:60%;width:48%;border:1px solid #000000;float:right;margin:5px;&quot;>
		<tr>
			<td>
				Right Links Here
			</td>
		</tr>
	</table>
	<table style=&quot;height:25%;width:98%;border:1px solid #000000;margin:5px;&quot;>
		<tr>
			<td>
				Bottom Links Here
			</td>
		</tr>
	</table>
</div>
A little ugly, but it works :b
-Tarwn ------------ My Little Dictionary ---------
Extreme Programming - (1)Trying to code before my second cup of coffee. (2) While(1){ Ctrl+C; Ctrl+V; }
FAQ - Web-ese for &quot;Forget Asking Questions, I am to busy&quot; :p

gurus, yes gurus you are!!
I think you for your inputs.
Tarwn, can you create a litle space between left links and right links so I can add a little nice look and feel in the middle?
thanks again for all the help folks

heh, i was trying to find the ternary operator in ASP to shorten that letter/nbumber count a few posts back, no luck unfortunatly :p
Apparently ASP is lacking it.

Wait a second, this is Mr. I-Can-Rattle-Off-Entire-Function-Descriptions-From-Memory-With-Correct-Italicization calling me a show-off? Riiiiiigt [wink]
Extreme Programming - (1)Trying to code before my second cup of coffee. (2) While(1){ Ctrl+C; Ctrl+V; }

Ick, don't use mine, it's way to clumsy (and ugly)
If you would like to use the embedded table design with space in the middle you could just add an empty column in the table as a spacer and just put some width on it and an &amp;nbsp in it. But here is a way to do it with my code form above:
Code:
<div style=&quot;height:100%;width:98%;margin:5px;text-align:center;&quot;>
    <div style=&quot;height:8%;width:98%;border:1px dotted #668866;margin:5px;&quot;>
        Disclaimer :  Look ma, no inner tables :P
    </div>
    <table style=&quot;height:60%;width:40%;border:1px solid #000000;float:left;margin:5px;&quot;>
        <tr>
            <td valign=&quot;top&quot;>
                Left Links Here - just change the width in the style above to desired width, and ditto to right side, items naturally float to the outside of the screen because I set em that way
            </td>
        </tr>
    </table>
    <table style=&quot;height:60%;width:40%;border:1px solid #000000;float:right;margin:5px;&quot;>
        <tr>
            <td valign=&quot;top&quot;>
                Right Links Here - this is actually not my preferred way of doing it, I would prefer usually to go with the table within a table method. More predictable I;ve found
            </td>
        </tr>
    </table>
    <table style=&quot;height:25%;width:98%;border:1px solid #000000;margin:5px;&quot;>
        <tr>
            <td valign=&quot;bottom&quot; align=&quot;center&quot;>
                Bottom Links Here
            </td>
        </tr>
    </table>
</div>

jsut to add to this, you can throw the DIV's out and accomplish the same looks with using the inline style in the table tags.. example:
of course using classes would be a whole lot easier and cleaner.
<table border=1 style=&quot;height:100%;width:98%;margin:5px;text-align:center;&quot;>
<tr><td valgin=top colspan=2>
<table><tr><td>disclaimer</td></tr></table>
</td></tr>

Tarwn..they hammered it into my head in college. it scares me sometimes when I can remember things like those too.
this was a good one though. I gave someone here the reference for the replace regex the other day and I did the famous mistake
whats wrong with this
object.Replace(string2, string1)

the guy actually got mad at me, made me feel pretty bad. seeing as it's BACKWARDS
ie
object.Replace(string1, string2)

I do that with the datediff all the time too

i love it when you forget a quote or something in a 200 line long example and people get mad at you, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy :p

I actually missed (read slept) through the one or two times people used ternary operators in classes. I get mid(str,start,length) confused with mid(str,start,end) on a daily basis. No end to the confusion, I may have finally linked the mid error message to that now, don't know what I'll ever do if it's actually another error with mid :p

I feel your (error) pain

BTW what I meant by the inline in the table. this can be cleaned up even more due to not needing the height and width in a lot of places but you get the idea

<table width=100%>
<tr><td colspan=4>
<table style=&quot;height:8%;width:98%;border:1px dotted #668866;margin:5px;&quot;>
<tr><td>disclaimer</td></tr></table>
</td></tr>
<tr><td colspan=2>
<table style=&quot;width:100%;border:1px solid #000000;float:right;margin:5px;&quot;>
<tr><td>link dept1</td></tr></table>
</td>
<td>
<table style=&quot;width:100%;border:1px solid #000000;float:left;margin:5px;&quot;>
<tr><td colspan=2>link dept2</td></tr></table>
</td></tr>
<tr><td colspan=4>
<table align=bottom style=&quot;height:25%;width:98%;border:1px solid #000000;margin:5px;&quot;>
<tr><td>link dept3</td></tr></table>
</td></tr>
</table>

Nothing like being really really sure the browser saw the height :)
-Tarwn

Did I miss the off topic post on the way in this afternoon?
:p ------------ My Little Dictionary ---------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back