Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dumb file sharing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

groston

IS-IT--Management
Dec 31, 2001
US
I have two computers on my home network. At some point in time, I logged onto computer2 from computer1 using username1. Being lazy, I told the system to remember the username and password.

Now, I want to log onto computer2 from computer1 using username2.

What the heck should I do to get the computer to unremember username1 and its password???

----

Gerry Roston
gerry@pairofdocs.net

in run box type control userpasswords2
advanced tab
manage passwords button

wolluf,

Thank you for pointing this out. Unfortunately, something strange is going on...

When logged into computer1 using my user account, control userpasswords2 showed four passwords - 2 passport, one for my laptop and one for a server I am building. However, none for the other workstation.

When logged in as administrator, control userpasswords2 showed no passwords.

However, when logged in as either user, \\computer2 in windows explorer brought up the files on the other machine. When logged in using my user account (which exists on both machines), I was limited by the security settings for my user account on computer2. When logged in as administrator, I could not navigate the file tree at all...

----

Gerry Roston
gerry@pairofdocs.net

Try changing the password of username1 on computer2. Then the 'automatic' logon from computer1 will fail - and hopefully will prompt you for legitimate logon credentials.

Great idea...

But it didn't work. Something is major league screwed up. Not worth spending any more time on this - I'll solve the problem by pushing data from computer2->computer1 instead of pulling it.

Thanks for your help.

----

Gerry Roston
gerry@pairofdocs.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back