Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Duel Booting Menu Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I duel boot between Win98 and NT 4.0. In NT I added a new logical drive from free space I had left. Then I had to edit the boot.ini file to reflex the partion changes. I rebooted and now I have 4 choices to pick from when booting.
winnt4.0
winnt4.0 vga
microsoft windows
NT default
The first three are the ones I usually get and work properly. However the new addition NT default dosen't work and not only that it's not even in the boot.ini.
The thing that really pisses me off about is that it always defaults to NT default, so I have to watch the PC boot up ever time or else it goes no where. Could someone please tell me how to get rid of the NT Default choice.

Yes. All you have to do is edit your boot.ini and take out that entry, or go into Control Panel, System and Startup/Shutdown. In here, choose the option that you would like as default and that's that.

If you don't want this choice and it goes nowhere then simply remove it from your boot.ini file and reboot w/s -
the coiche NT Default will be no longer there.
Your boot.ini file should look like this...
(Timeout is variable)

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT Workstation Version 4.00"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT Workstation Version 4.00 [VGA mode]" /basevideo /sos

The "NT Default" choice shows up on the boot menu automatically if the entry for "Default" (see muck's response above) is invalid. Make sure it matches the proper entry from the choices in the file.

Super that must be it. NT default is looking to a diffent and invalid partion and thats why it keeps showing up. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back