Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Duel boot can't boot to XP lost exact path 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

trigatupp

Technical User
Jan 18, 2003
US
I had to re-install Windows 2000 Pro but it took away my choice to pick Windows 2000 Pro or XP Pro. I basically have 2 hard drives D (disk 0) 20 gig has Win2000 my second drive E (disk 1) 80 gig Windows XP Professional

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

I have made these changes below and now I get the option to choose eaither operating system but when I choose XP it says path not good or check hardware. Please help!

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

1) find NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM in the folder of i386 in the CD of WINDOWSXP;
2) copy these two files to drive C: and overwrite the original files;
3) restart
you can get it done!
Congratulations!

liu
Beijing,China

Sorry!
If you don't have drive C:,you should copy them to D:\ where you install window 2000

Ok I did that but still can not get on XP. When I try it says could not read from the selected boot disk, check path.

Please help!

Here is the way I have it now.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional"

If you have 2 hard drives, drive D: which is installed Win2000 and drive E which is installed Windows XP Professional
you can try this!

Nope still not working.

timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional"

I've tried partition(2),1,3 no luck!!!!!!

Boot from your Win XP disk and select repair.

Excuse me.
I am so sorry that I make a mistake!
I just copied some thing from your second reply and didnot check it carefully.
It should like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional"

If you have done as I told you in my first reply, this can make your PC work well.

Good Luck!

trigatupp/bai,

I think this is the correct version:-

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional"

(Assuming 2k is on first partition of first disk and XP is on first partition of second disk)

YES!

Finally, I thought for one split second that the only way I was gonna see my XP again was to reload!

Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back