Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dub dub dub? Give me a break!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 8, 2003
GB

Something I've noticed a great deal while on my travels in AUS and NZ is that any TV or radio adverts that give a web address (spoken rather than printed) pronounce it "dub dub dub" instead of "double u double u double u".

Does this annoy anyone else as much as me? Come on - how on earth can you possibly justify abbreviating the pronunciation of a single letter!?

Dan

It's not quite true to say that the receiving computer never sees the domain name. It always can see the requested domain, even if it ignores it. That's how multiple web sites with different domains can be hosted behind one IP address. The server, upon receiving an http connection, knows which site to respond with because of the domain given in the request.

As for using only one A record, I think it's better to use several. The company may be using only one server right now, but it might use many in the future. Best to set up mail and ftp and so on, for that future eventuality that it goes to a different server with a different IP address.

-------------------------------------
• Every joy is beyond all others. The fruit we are eating is always the best fruit of all.
• It is waking that understands sleep and not sleep that understands waking. There is an ignorance of evil that comes from being young: there is a darker ignorance that comes from doing it, as men by sleeping lose the k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back