Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual Windows Boot Option

Status
Not open for further replies.

smtss

Technical User
May 7, 2006
GB
I have a HP laptop which has a dual boot option of Windows Xp professional (which I want to keep) and Windows XP Home.

My question is how can I get rid of the option on bootup so that it books straight into Winsows XP pro.

Thanks in advance.

I think you can look at your boot.ini file. If you see a line that shows XP home in it try removing that line.

Example:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

But first make a backup copy of the file in case something messes up.

T.

Sorry for being thick but were will i find this file?

It should be in the root of C:. You might have to go to tools>folder options, click on the view tab and scroll down and uncheck "Hide protected opertaing system files" (accept the warning that might pop up) then click ok. Your boot.ini file should show up then. You will probably have one line in it for Pro and another line for Home.

T.

Unable to locate boot.ini anywhere!

An other idea's

Are both OS on the same hard drive with different partitions?

T.

Actually, I was confused for a moment ;-)

With XP you can edit the boot.ini through

Control Panel>System>Advanced>Startup and Recovery>System startup> [Edit]

TomCologne

Can you right click My Computer select Properties , select the Advanced Tab, go down to Startup & Recovery and click on Settings. In the startup and Recovery page, click on edit, that is your boot.ini. remove the line that refers to Windows XP home, save it and close it. and then un-check the option that reads: "Time to display list of operating systems" O.K your way out and reboot.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

If you are manually searching for the Boot.ini file, as it is a Hidden file and a System File, you will need to show both these type of files via Folder Options/ View. It may also have Read Only properties set.

HOW TO: Edit the Boot.ini File in Windows XP (Q289022)

You may need to be an Administrator too.

Thanks for all response sorted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back