Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual video cards won't cooperate

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBruyet

IS-IT--Management
Apr 6, 2001
US
Hey all,

I have an XP machine SP3 with an S3 Savage AGP card and a Trident ProVidia PCI video card. I'm trying to get both cards to work at the same time but when I try I get the following error:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

I can get either card to work fine by itself, but I can't get both cards to work together. If I boot AGP primary, the PCI card gets the above error. If I boot PCI primary the AGP card gets the above error.

I've looked on Microsoft's support site but I can't find anything there. I've even done a Google search but I was unlucky there too. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,

Joe Brouillette

Get rid of the Trident video card and go with the S3 card only. I can see zero reasons why you would want to have two video cards in the same computer. That defies all logic.

Seriously, jonlog; dual monitor setup, very common these days; depending on your logic, of course.

But more to the question, some combinations of video cards simply do not work together no matter what you try to do. This may be the case in your situation.

I've set up dual monitor systems before, and about the only thing I can say is, if they're a compatible match, they just work, Windows XP takes care of all the details.

Jonlog, this computer is going to be used for our mapping software. One screen is needed to display the map (21" monitor) and the other screen (17" monitor) is needed to display the chart values for points selected on the map.

Dakota81, I'm starting to think that it's some type of resource issue with the cards. I know some pieces of hardware don't play well together and I'm thinking this is one of those times.

Thanks,

Joe Brouillette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back