Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual TV Tuners, can you record 2 programs at same time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emit2

MIS
Sep 10, 2005
CA
Does any one know if there is hardware and software to have Dual TV-Tuners and PVR software that will allow you to record two TV programs simultaneously. I know a single Tuner allows you to record and watch that TV program being recorded or to watch a TV program. Would Dual TV-Tuners allow you to watch a TV program and record another and would they allow you to record two different TV programs simultaneously? I keep getting conflicting info.

I can see audio problems for viewing but you may be able to actually record both and get proper audio and video. I do have doubts, never actually tried it.
I did get to capture that first bust or model of saddam hussein getting pulled down!

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

It would depend on the application software being able to tell which tuner card it is talking to.

I build test computers at work and we have to write our own software to get around problems like this. For example if I have six identical discrete output cards in one PCI backplane, software is written to identify the cards by PCI slot number they are plugged in to so if I want to turn on output #37 on card #3, it does it.

I suspect off the shelf software that comes bundled with tuner cards won't do that. However, you might not have a problem if one tuner was an AIW 9800 Pro, and the other was a Hauppauge Win PVR.

Thanks guys, I am curious Frank4d, why is there the possibility of the AIW 9800 Pro and the Hauppauge Win PVR working to record two different TV programs simultaneously? I'm not at all computer savvy but would have thought products from the same manufacturer would be more likely to have the necessary software?

It has been my experience that when you have two or more identical cards in a system, the application software software cannot tell which is which unless the software is written with that possibility in mind.

I currenty have this situation at work where I have two identical boards. After contacting the manufacturer I learned that I must install the driver software, install the first board, re-install the software (event though it is already installed), and then install the second board. From there, Windows XP knows which card is which.

I also have four identical discrete output cards in the same system. Unfortunately, their software couldn't distinguish which card is which... so we had to write our own.

I thought your best bet would be to have two manufacturer's cards (hopefully with different chips)... so the application software has less chance of being confused which of two cards it is trying to control. But then, if you are thinking two identical cards... contact the manufacturer's tech support and ask if their software supports your intended use (it may).

Always good to listen to the voice of experience, thanks Frank4d.

AS Frank4d said, you might want to use different ones. Best to check as different makes and models may use the very same chipset. So if you want different chipsets you want to check and make sure. There are only a few chipsets, i believe. Maybe 3 or 4 or so, not sure on the exact amount of different chipsets.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

My buddy swears by something called "Snap Stream" I think it's rediculous, but he says it's the best thing going on out there. Found at check into it. They have a blog and everything to ask questions BEFORE you buy it...

One thing you must remember... the more programs you record, the more processor and RAM you are going to need. If you are losing the occasional frame with one stream, my bet is you will NOT have enough to do two streams with any kind of "keepable" resolution or frame-rate. Also, I would probably recommend multiple destination drives - i.e. don't try to copy both programs to the same drive simultaneously... this avoids contention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back