Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual T1's on the same Firewall??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2002
US
Does anyone know if it is possible to have 2 T1's come into the same FW-1 box? I wanted to separate internal and external traffic with 2 different T's..... My only worry was choosing a default route with securemote......

Anyone ever set anything up like this, or is it necessary to have 2 FW's to do this??

Any help would be appreciated...

It is totaly feasible to do this but comlicated. SecureRemote clients should not be an issue, you can control which link they use to come in by sepecifiying which public IP address to use. Outbound NATing could be fun though. You can only specify one default gateway and this will be used for all outbound traffic and hide NAT, but if you want to use the other T1 for inbound then you will have to configure Static NAT's using the public range for the Inbound connection e.g. Mail server, for outbound return traffic they will go out on the default gateway route and Checkpoint will translate the source address (i.e. mail server internal IP) to the Public IP of the INBOUND link, but this should not affect the routing as it will route on destination address.

Well let me start off by saying that we currently have a 4.1 FW. Could you elaborate more on how I would set something like this up???

Well first I would add the NIC in to the firewall and configure with a public addres on the second T1. Set up a static NAT (with IP address of the New T1)for any internal object and a rule to allow access and then test from the Internet. If that works your pretty much there, just start switching all your inbound access NAT's to the new addresses on the second T1. I assume you are using NATing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back