Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual screen 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kspn

Technical User
Dec 26, 2001
AU
I am having problems setting up a dual screen setup in Windows XP

The drivers worked fine under Windows 98/ME but when I trued to get it running under XP it either didn't work (The native drivers don't support dual screen), or when I tried another driver off the net it blanked my Primary Monitor on me.

it is an SIS 6129 PCI
My primary Card is a S3 Trio 3D/2x

Thanks

Dual monitors are not supported under the Home Edition.

For that, you need the Professional Edition.

Got to just love the Microsoft money making machine - functionality at inflated prices - upgrading with a loss of previous functionality.

I have managed to get it working once, but that was only for 1 day thenthe system crashed and I cannot find the drivers again.
It is a real pain, I think that the only way that I can get dual screen working will be to get a dual-head card.
I do 3D graphics drawing and Digital Video editing so dual screen is a requirement

Thanks for your help
Piet

You do not need Pro for multiple monitors - Home will support it.

Apparently, I am mistaken that the Home Edition does not support multiple monitors. I relied upon a very reliable source and will see if I can find the comparison article for resolution of such a discrepancy. My apologies.

Windows XP Home Edition > Using Windows XP > How-to Articles > Setting the Screen Size

Expand Your Workspace with Multiple Monitors and Dualview

My possibly mistaken, but very reputable, newsletter source was:

EXCERPT:

Comparing Windows XP Home and Professional Editions

Last week we covered a few things you might consider when deciding on which version of XP works best for you. We received quite a few requests for more information on the differences between the two versions. A big concern was how businesses should decide on which XP version to use.

When you look at Windows XP Home and Professional Editions head-to-head, the following appear to be the primary differences (outside of cost considerations):

Remote Desktop
Offline Files and Folders
Encrypting File System
Granular Access Control
Ability to join a Windows NT or Windows 2000 domain
Support for Group Policy and Roaming Profiles
Software Installation and Maintenance
Installation using Remote Installation Services (RIS)
Multi-language support
Multiprocessor support

Multiple Monitors support

Backup and dynamic disks
Upgrade from Windows NT/Windows 2000
Advanced networking support

All of these features are supported by Windows XP Professional and none of them is supported by Windows XP Home Edition.

.... Multiprocessor and multiple monitor hard support in Windows XP Professional allows you use up to two processors and 10 monitors. XP Home allows only a single processor and monitor.

-------------------------------------------------
Past Issues of WinXPnews

Are You Ready For Music That Expires? Tue Dec 18, 2001

Trick Your Old Apps to Work in WinXP Wed Dec 12, 2001

When Good CD Keys Go Bad Tue Dec 4, 2001

Where are those WinXP Boot Disks? Wed Nov 28, 2001

Windows XP Data Death Wed Nov 21, 2001

Welcome to WinXPnews Thu Nov 15, 2001

Update on Comparison between Windows XP Home and Professional

Multiple monitor support was added late in the XP development process. It appears that:

- XP Home supports up to two monitors, while
- XP Professional supports up to 10 monitors.

Actually, the MS webpage even indicates that up to 10 monitors will work with the Home version - 2nd Paragraph, under "More Space to see your work". :) (if I ever need more than 2 monitors, though, I need to find another line of work :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back