Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dual screen with nvidia geforce 4 mx 4000

Status
Not open for further replies.

electronicsfreak

Technical User
Sep 2, 2004
US
Ok ive been trying to run dual monitor such as having desktop on one monitor and like say put messenger on another however ive not been able to get it to work right. Ive managed to split the screens up via horizontal or vertical. Can clone just fine as well. In fact cloning is what it does and stays at when I try running dual screen like the wizard says. I even upgraded the nvidia drivers to see if that would fix it. It is still doing it.

Both monitors are crt. One is a brand new 17 inch viewsonic while the secondary is an old monitor but good enough for crap task like messenger talking and handling the resolution of 1024x768. Viewsonic monitor is running via vga while other is running dvi to vga converter. Both are connected to the same card.

System specs are 1.9GHz amd athlon xp, 1 gig of ram dual channel. 80GB hard drive space, aopen agp 8x 128MB geforce4 mx 4000 video card.

Anyone have any idea what im doing wrong? Any tips or hints on anything lol?

Thanks

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

I use a little program called Ultramon. this will enable you to have the 2nd screen as a seperate desktop but it also adds a taskbar and many other usefull extra's such as hotkey screen switching. The windows dual screen functionality is limited and although you should be able to get seperate desktop, not just a mirror, I would suggest the purchase of Ultramon anyway for those added extras that make dual monitor usage that much more enjoyable.

I'm running an 2Ghz Athlon XP w/ 1 gig, 400 gig HD and an old 128mb 4x AGP Geforce4 MX 440 vid card driving my 22" and 19" CRT's via vga connector and dvi-vga adapter - it's working great in Dualview mode. (I was running a second vid card until a recent motherboard replacement)

I don't have any specific wisdom for you, but we can walk through various scenarios to try and solve your issue if you like.

As I recall, it got weird when I tried to implement the Dualview setup the first time - it wouldn't go into the proper mode and took quite a few reboots and reconfigs before "it took".

I might suggest that you forget the wizard and try to configure the Nvidia Nview software through the native interface (desktop properties)

Mine is setup in the Dualview mode.

What happens when you right click the windows desktop, and select the settings tab of the Display Properties? Do you get the 2 monitor view on the properties page there? If you then select the "advanced" button (lower right corner of dialog), do you get an "Nvidia" properties tab? If so, try configuring your setup for Dualview through the "nview display settings" page of that dialog.

If you would like to see screenshots of the dialogs I see (to let you know what you should be seeing) I can shoot them to you via email if you wish.

I have this thread in another location as well, I appreciate the reply. Here is what has been tried so far.

thread602-1277569

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Turns out the problem was my video card. I got a geforce 6800 and it works just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back