Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual/Quad core processor and Licenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

brendenm

IS-IT--Management
Apr 28, 2004
GB
Hi all,

I heard that BO treat each core as a processor thus requiring a license (if we chose a processor license).

Can anyone clear this up for me or if BO are planning on changing their licensing at all.

Cheers

My understanding is that it is a sliding-scale based on the CPU pricing...

1 x Single-Core Processor = 100% of CPU rate
1 x Dual-Core Processor = 150% of CPU rate
1 X Quad-Core Processor = 200% of CPU rate

You would need to confirm this with your BOBJ Account Rep.

Also, Dec. 31st if the end-of-fiscal for Business Objects - so between now and New Year's Eve all pricing is VERY negotiable.

Cheers, but not sure what you mean by the % CPU rate.

One of our software vendors said it was one license per core.

Not that I'm doubting you but vendors are sales people even as much as you like the sales person you can always get more discount.

My understanding is that if the CPU rate is $100K for one (1) single CPU, then it's $150K for one (1) Dual-CPU and $200K for one(1) Quad-CPU.

Not quite, but close.

1 CPU = 100% of CPU license cost
1 Dual core CPU = %150 of CPU license cost
1 Quad core CPU = %250 of CPU license cost

each additional cpu core counts as 0.5 CPU

groggle is correct. I just received a quote for a dual core processor

Cost for one core was $88,000 dual core $132,000 with a 22% annual maintance fee for 29,040. I need to go into another business.

For the BOE XI R2 product line I can confirm the must purchase .5 CPU "licenses" for each core after the first.

Does anyone have a link or reference to the terms back from Crystal Enterprise 10? I can't find anything left on their website--it all seems to have been taken down even though I've found a few links to "previous versions" (which get redirected. E.g.,

Anyone, know how BOE-XI (R2) licenses are priced if you are using server-virtualization (eg. MS Virtual Server 2005, VM-Ware Server) rather than physical servers...?

MJRBIM, AFAIK, there is no difference. It will depend on the number of processors that are dedicated to the specific VM session.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back